VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, we have a 94 aab auto.

Ran fine the other day and parked up over night but an interior light left on.
Went to start it on a cold morning and she turned over with a few puffs of white smoke from the exhaust but no catching.

I thought low battery so charged up and still turned over but didn't catch?

Left it and tried again a few hours later and engine turned over a few times and then next try nothing?...

She now won't turn over at all?

I've checked the fuses in the fuse box, the larger blade fuses and made sure the battery is fully charged up?

What next?

Shall I give the starter a smack? And is it only worth doing while someone turns the key?

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
356 Posts
Not sure if this will all be identical with the auto but:

1) When cold and you first turn the ignition to position 2 (dash lights on) can you hear a relay click from passenger side of the cab? If not, check out threads on 109 relay. (Also worth trying the key in the other way up).

2) Repeat the above but get someone to get their ear down over the top of the injection pump - you want to hear a faint click which is the fuel cut off solenoid opening.

3) Disconnect the battery and inspect the heavy cabling for continuity to the starter motor and the alternator - especially the braided cable on the starter. Make sure all connections are done up properly tight at the starter and alternator.

If problem continues then from your later symptons you might have a crack and air ingress on the fuel and return piping to injector pump or on the short injector return piping (these splits are very hard to see - look for air bubbles in the clear fuel pipe).

Loads more options but the above a good start.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers salty, checked most of the cables and no breaks might nip the bolts on the back of the starter?

Just seems strange that it stopped working overnight.

Just want to at least get it turning over.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update.

Got a friend over and they keyed the ignition whilst I sat underneath and whacked the starter.

Heard two things,
1 I faint click from what must be the injector pump salty mentioned and then when he turned the key to start the solenoid definatly sounded like it engaged but no spinning of the motor. What did happen was the thick power cable going to the back of the solenoid started to smoke and melted the plastic wrap where I goes from cable to connector on the starter.
Cables were pretty bunched up though?
Did it melt the outer plastic boot just because it was trying to start but not spinning the motor?

·
Registered
356 Posts
One other quick trick then for now -

If the battery is still good - and I mean really well charged - and everything so far listed checks out - and fuses 15 and 18 are good

Then run a hairdryer or similar out to the bus and warm the starter motor right up for 5 to 10mins and try starting again.

Still quite a few possibilities though and yes these things tend to happen almost overnight, often the difference between cold plant and plant at operating temp.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Update.

Got a friend over and they keyed the ignition whilst I sat underneath and whacked the starter.

Heard two things,
1 I faint click from what must be the injector pump salty mentioned and then when he turned the key to start the solenoid definatly sounded like it engaged but no spinning of the motor. What did happen was the thick power cable going to the back of the solenoid started to smoke and melted the plastic wrap where I goes from cable to connector on the starter.
Cables were pretty bunched up though?
Did it melt the outer plastic boot just because it was trying to start but not spinning the motor?
Sorry - hadn't seen this one when I posted - hang on

·
Registered
356 Posts
How old's the starter motor? - that sounds like it's had it. You could bandage the insulation and try the heat treatment first (but be really careful when turning over) but sounds like it's kaput.

Other prospect is the engine's locked - try and turn it over by hand (spanner on the driver side lower pulley)

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
It happens , after a while , that electric connections can need cleaning , esp. the earth cable . Go through them , to eliminate bad connections ....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Going to get the starter off tommorow or thurs when I've got time and sling a new one on.
Clean all faces of the connectors etc and get the battery topped up.
Hopefully the engine isn't locked up :s
I will put it in to drive and rock it to check maybe?
Thanks again for the advice

·
Registered
356 Posts
Going to get the starter off tommorow or thurs when I've got time and sling a new one on.
Clean all faces of the connectors etc and get the battery topped up.
Hopefully the engine isn't locked up :s
I will put it in to drive and rock it to check maybe?
Thanks again for the advice

Yeah, make sure engine not locked, quite simple to turn by hand - otherwise you'll risk caning the new starter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, got the morning free today so I thought I would do the starter as I've got a new one to fit. Got the bolts removed ( only 2) and try as I might the starter won't pull out? There is a tiny amount of movement at the bottom if you push hard but no amount of pushing pulling hitting hammering is budging it? What tips have you or am I missing something?

Wondered if the starter could be hung up in the flywheel?

Would rotating the engine by hand free it perhaps.

Help appreciated.

It's an auto btw.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Can't rotate the engine by hand with the big bottom pulley? Is it an auto thing?
check again on the starter motor - ought to be 3 bolts (or at least 3 bolt positions - you might have only had two in) - Have you got the engine bay in service position with the radiator forward and bellypan off - will make life a lot easier.

Sorry, no knowledge on the auto re neutral - try NickLouse on here.

I'd probably be having the cam and timing belt covers off at this point and checking all belts are intact.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going to connect the wires back up and flick the ignition on and off to see if this might jolt the starter out of place. Failing that I'm going to get a larger hammer :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorted, the small bush that is at the end of he starter shaft wash worn and had pinned the starter. Local garage sorted it on the lift.
Also autos starters are defo only 2 bolts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts