VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post as I'm new to the forum!

Just purchasing a 96 2.0l AAC petrol engine T4 - are they any good please???

Thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a 93 T4 Campervan, 2.0l petrol AAC. Performance is ok, they are not designed to "fly" and need to be driven with a slightly different frame of mind to a car, you dont get anywhere fast. This is also important in terms of ecconomy, I have never achieved more than about 27 to the gallon and that is on a long trip, less when stop/start and city driving, so light foot on the accelerator. I have an massive steering wheel and no power steering, like driving a bus, though not a problem for me. My camper is not my main vehicle, I have other cars/motorcycles so ecconomy is not a show stopper for me. The AAC engine is very robust (the Golf engine), easy and largely cheap to maintain, I do all my own. It does have a few common problems which crop up now and then, all pretty well documented and known. Mine starts first time, every time, summer or winter. I had a fault which took me a while to sort out, and ignition problem, but it turned out to be one of the well documented faults which I fixed with ref. to this forum and the wealth of imformation available here. To be honest there are many more problems associated with the various diesel variants than with the petrol, you only need to read the forums to realise this, but to be fair, there are many more diesel vans on the road with far greater miles on the clock. I would suggest a decent road test to look for any running faults, most of the known faults are fairly obvious and easily spotted, poor starting/running. Not sure if this is a private purchase or dealer, if dealer then you may have some kind of warranty. The condition of the van in other areas, bodywork and the rest of the mechanical workings could need more scrutiny than the engine (dont know how many miles on the clock). Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - very informative!
I too won't be driving it fast anyway. It's a private sell, has stacks of history and has just under 80k on it

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks - very informative!
I too won't be driving it fast anyway. It's a private sell, has stacks of history and has just under 80k on it
Is it just a van, or a diy camper, or a pro build camper? Mileage sounds good (mine has only 34k). History is good to have, cambelt?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Good solid engines IMO.

They're a detuned version of the equivalent Golf engine and as a result seldom suffer from major issues. Small problems such as ignition issues and vacuum leaks are the most common. Easily rectified DIY. Some ECU issues sometimes too but that can be rectified by regular cleaning / replacing of the vac hoses to the ECU.

In addition they are crazy easy to work on.

As a further note they take to LPG really well. Super tough valve system which reduces running costs right down. Otherwise they can be a bit more expensive to run than a diesel. However they are quieter and smoother.

Finally There are some hefty tuning options available if your ambitious with a spanner and wallet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Most VW guys reckon the AAC motor is pretty solid. Apparently some rally guys pull the crankshaft out of the AAC and put it in their Golfs. Mine has done 400,000 klms, still runs well. I spray some throttlebody cleaner into the idle stabliser valve while she's running at service time and it really seems to a big difference. The throttlebodies do gunk up a fair bit.
She's no power-monster, but driven sanely it'll keep goin' and 'love you long time'...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. My first post on the forum. How did you get in @phot ? I’m just in the process of buying a 98 t4 trooper autosleeper. 2.0 aac. Done 100k miles. A lovely old neighbour had it and I’d always expressed an interest in it and he’s basically selling it to me and I’m really chuffed. It’s a bit rough body wise so I’d like to sort that. he said it had started steaming so I had a quick look and the belt that goes to the alternator had snapped. Hopefully it hasn’t done any damage. Im not that knowledgable but im quite handy. Could you guys possiblu give me some links on how tos for the belt job please? I think I should do the cam belt too whilst in there So any links there would be cool! Do I do the water pump too? thanks in advance. really excited about it Although I’m really torn what to do with my faithful golf estate 1.9tdi pd. 240k miles! Love it. I should really have both But ££££££££.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,499 Posts
You could always transfer the Golf engine to the van!
My Polish lodger has a Passat 1.9 TD with over a milion kilometers on it!
Bit like Triggers Broom....same "car", but many new body panels (well, scrap yard body panels!)
Yeah, 3 injector pumps and a new head gasket....but that's about all apart from regular servicing.....and as he's Polish, always uses the cheapest filters and oil! (Even buys old fuel from scrap yards...or did until he realised that was why he was on his 3rd injector pump in 2 months!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts