VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ABL seems to have sh*t itself and during the post mortem it seems the cambelt tensioner has failed causing the belt to jump and cause an as yet undefined amount of damage.

We were about to check the timing and whilst turning the engine noticed the belt was going slack. We took the tensioner off and on the backside it appeared that there are 2 stops so I'm guessing the tensioner is spring loaded so can move a certain amount. It looks like the tensioner somehow went past the stops as there is damage to the metal.

Has anybody heard of this occurring before? Should there be something on the engine that could've broken off causing this? Can you install the tensioner wrong? I didn't change the belt, it was last done before I got the van.

Help!

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
My money would be on the crank sprocket failure. Unfortunatly it has caused many including mine to goto an early grave :eek: do a search on the subject mate, there is loads of information on it in the engine section T:T:T:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah read all about it although not checked it! Stopped working on it once I found the tensioner was damaged.

I think I'd best check it before going much further as I guess that could've caused the tensioner to break?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts