VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a VW T4 camper with an ABL engine. 78k well serviced including timing belt. No faults or problems until today....

It hasn't been run for about 2 months the last time it started up it was perfect, warmed up correctly, stable idle, no smoke.
After that I fitted an EGR blanking plate and ran it again to test with no problems.
Its been dry stored with battery disconnected since.

Today: cold start with the choke out, engine ran rough as hell, lumpy idle and HUGE clouds of blue/white smoke that didn't clear. Thinking that maybe it was an oil build up from the turbo I let it warm up, it was still running rough but would rev.
The smoke didn't clear and I was now causing a huge smoke cloud in the street so I shut it off.

My first though was that the turbo oil seals had failed so I stripped off the hose from the turbo outlet to the intake and ran it. It made no difference. I then thought that maybe the turbo had failed on the exhaust side and was blowing oil into the downpipe. I removed the exhaust from the turbo and ran it - same problem with masses of smoke even from cold.

See video below of a cold startup with the turbo elbow outlet removed from the exhaust.

Video on vimeo:

VW T4 ABL smoke

The smoke smells like burning sunflower oil / possibly unburnt diesel.

I'm completely stumped on what could have happened. Nothing has changed since last time it was run.

All help would be gratefully received!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'd be checking the cambelt timing I think first but atrange why it would be like that all if a sudden

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Timing does seem like the next thing to check.

I checked the cambelt visually. It looked in good condition and had clearly been changed a few years ago. Belt tension was spot on too.
I've only ever seen a cambelt jump once in 25 years of spannering but the symptopms seem a lot like this:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts