VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening chaps,

This is probably going to spark a bit of conversation, its not a negative dig at converting to TDi, its moreso a feeling that the t4 abl gearbox isnt that suited to the TDi conversion in my opinion.

Now i am running a standard t4 abl box with the taller 5th gear (0.71:1 i think) and this is the only gear i feel is suitable for use with the power increase.

My van used to chew through 1-4 with the abl engine fairly quickly as the vans original purpose was to carry weight but i feel that now im probably running 110-120bhp the gears feel waaay too short.

Has anybody had a box built with different ratios because id seriously consider doing this as im changing gear even more often and the thing spins the wheels in first second and third fairly effortlessly!!

My two pence worth.... discuss

·
Somebody stop me!
11,941 Posts
I think if i was ever to get my gearbox rebuilt which wont be too far off i will replace my final drive to increase the legs on all the gears. Saying that mine isn't as bad as yours because i have a caravelle and the gearing is taller anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts