VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - bit paranoid about paying over the odds for my first van. Please let me know if you think it's an okay deal or if I should hold out for something else.

2009 T5 1.9 in black with 77k miles. Recent service (4 in the book, 3 from main dealer), 2 prev owners, air con.

Standard grey bumpers - will want colour coded / upgrade but interior will been sorted by this garage with 2 side windows (1 sliding), insulated, panels and carpeted with 6 leds and flooring.

They want 9k for it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hi,

Looks like a few services have been missed if only 4 x in the book and a 2009 should have a least 2 cam belt changes by now, millage is nice and low but imo its a bit pricey.

However the guys on here are far more knowledgeable and I am sure you will get a few chipping in shortly.

T: :ILU:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Factor in £500ish for new front and rear bumpers. Colour coding the originals is labour intensive and never as good a coloured.
So if doing this ask the garage for a price - may be cheaper if they have a sale at the end, or look for another van.

Has the insulation been done properly: sound deadening, then celotex/recycled plastic wool, then vapour barrier?

Windows are quite cheap and diy-able.

Single seats? Factor in £1,000= for oem singles with swivels.

Obviously offer less than 9k, or 9k if bumpers are done etc.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. yup, standard van pretty much - so seats will need looking at, as will a lot of things during my attempt to convert it.

Struggling to find many with half decent miles within this budget, so had hoped it was a good price.

Also - no idea on insulation sorry, they focus mainly on T5 restored and converts so hopefully they know what they're doing :*

Alloys are number 1 on the list, then bumpers. Whether I can colour code, replace with sportline black or go all out on T5.1 kit, I'm not sure yet.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Why not ask the dealer to throw in a cam belt/water pump/tensioners change to seal the deal? When I bought my kombi they did it as part of the sale

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Saw and drove the 09 van - it is nice and can see a lot of potential. What's frustrating me is that the service history mentioned is mostly at the start of ownership incl 11k,27k,39k with VW (last one Dec 2012). No records between 2012 and Dec 2018 where it was serviced at 75k. Currently on 78k,

Not to say it hasn't been self serviced or just not recorded, but would there be any tell tale signs that the engine has been damaged if the oil wasn't changed for a long time?

Thanks

·
Registered
641 Posts
Did it drive ok? Was there a reason given for lack of service stamps? To be fair, I like to see a pile of receipts for things and preferably the same name appearing on them (my last 3 motors are ex lease vehicles). Pretty much anyone can get a garage stamp and “create” a service history, I bought a Carlton once and that’s exactly what the seller had done. Fuel filter rotted and fell off! Tried telling me it wasn’t a service itemLOL: You can never ask too many questions and if it doesn’t feel right Walk AwayT:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah it drove well. Actually better than a similar 09 plate 1.9 with 120k (FSH). I am just worried that damage might have been caused if it WAS neglected for a while. I have 3 months warranty but knowing my luck, issues would become obvious just after this!

unfortunately, no explanation. I believe he got it from auction so no comms with the previous owner.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts