VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as title, I received some carbon fiber vinyl in the post yesterday and I had a bit of a practice on some internal bits but if anyone has any advice for the application of this stuff, particularly for the bonnet I'd appreciate some tips.
What do I need to do first to prep the surface?

Cheers

·
Registered
859 Posts
If it was me I would give the bonnet a tickle as this always seems to work for me and ive been told to put the vinyl in your pants to warm it up, or at least thats what yoyoningaboy told me, so PM him about it he's a good guy really.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Seriously try wetting the surface with soapy water then applying the vinyl and if its on something thats shaped like door handles go upstairs and nick your lasses hairdryer for 20 minutes, that should do the trick.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Good luck Jase, see you didnt go for the funky andromeda option then I:

Looking forward to seeing the finished article - hope its better than my tinting.

If you have any spare I wouldnt mind a bit for a couple of small jobbies I have in mind :cool:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers all
It's not the 3m stuff but does look quality.
Do I need to wipe the bonet with any solvent or panel wipe first or just give it a good wash?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good luck Jase, see you didnt go for the funky andromeda option then I:

Looking forward to seeing the finished article - hope its better than my tinting.

If you have any spare I wouldnt mind a bit for a couple of small jobbies I have in mind :cool:

Naa mate, too freaky for my taste :eek:
Should have a bit left over, depending on whether I get it right first time.
What you after doing with it?

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
Do it out of the wind,dont peel all the backing off at once.Have plenty spare so when you mess it up and rip it all off you can try again I:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Do it out of the wind,dont peel all the backing off at once.Have plenty spare so when you mess it up and rip it all off you can try again I:
Probably won't do it today then.
Think its a two man job anyhow, and my son's abandonned me for his missus today. Go figure!
Might take it off and do it in the kitchen, wife permitting.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it was me I would give the bonnet a tickle as this always seems to work for me and ive been told to put the vinyl in your pants to warm it up, or at least thats what yoyoningaboy told me, so PM him about it he's a good guy really.
What do you suggest tickling it with?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Hi, im interested in the application procedure because I want to do my mirrors caps and front bumper corner trims (cause i've scratched one on the garden wall) but not sure how to do corners and edges, unless someone fancies doing it for a drinkI:

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Naa mate, too freaky for my taste :eek:
Should have a bit left over, depending on whether I get it right first time.
What you after doing with it?
I was thinking of going over the chrome bits on the grill and the badge. I had thought of removing the chrome bits but this could look good.

I'm no expert but i'd start in the middle and work outwards with a soft squeegy.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
just done some of my interior, vents and panels in this, well pleased with how it looks and I think I'm getting the hang of it now. Been a bit windy to do the bonet but hopefully the practice on the interior bits well help.
For going round corners get some heat on it from a hair dryer then hold it tight against the surface til it cools so it sets in the right shape. Easy (ish).

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well for anyone thinking of doing their bonnet in this stuff, here's a tip or twenty; Get someone else to do it, or do it in the day time, or do it in a well lit garage, or do it when it isn't going to start raining half way through, make sure you have lots and lots of time, as Aggie suggested make sure you buy more than you need so you can start again when you stuff up the first attempt, get someone to help you, get someone else to help you and hold the hair dryer, wear heat protective gloves, cut very very very very carefully when it comes to the vent on the bonnet. Second thoughts, just the first on; get someone else to do it.
What a total pain in the RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRs. It's so dark now that I can't even see how bad it really is. It's a shame because from a distance it looks so cool. I'm hoping all the wee air bubbles and little wrinkles will fix with a bit of heat and some persistance.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
ahh gutted for you! sounds like you used my window tinting technique - how to make perfectly good material look like a rats rrrrsss in a few easy steps.

Give me a shout if you need an extra pair of hands next time- could even get the nose of the van in my garage

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm hoping all the wee air bubbles and little wrinkles will fix with a bit of heat and some persistance.
Good chance they will. I had a similar experience just putting stripes on my bonnet. The sun was disappearing as I spent hours trying to get rid of wrinkles along the front edge. Next morning, seconds with a hair drier and the wrinkles disappeared and stuck down.

Same with the bubbles. I had a couple, did what is recommended (tiny scalpel nick, not pin) and squeeze out the water, but was left with a noticeable mark (white vinyl). A bit of heat again, press with the sqeegee and the mark just "healed".

So all is not lost - but I can imagine how you feel.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for that stew, some hope is deffinitely what I need this morning after seeing it in the light. I'm going to get a price from someone to do it professionally just in case I can't put this right. Tis a real shame though cos until you look closely it looks the nutz.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts