VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a problem with my T5 2012, 2.0. 140h 4x4, manual. Every time I start a car, the ABS is on constantly for some period of time from 20 sec up to 2 minutes or about 60 km/h until ABS and anti skid lights up. Sometimes it lights up right away, other times after a while, but the same thing happens whether it lights up in the start or later. During this time car sometimes brakes itself, sometimes the car itself gives gas up to maximum when i switch the gear. After about a minute ABS turns off and lights up and I can drive. I have been in a specialized Volkswagen center in Norway, they troubleshot it and told me that the sensor and / or wheel bearing has an error and must be changed. I knew this was not the case, changed anyway sensor and wheel bearing, but the problem remained the same. I told them it didn't help, and they said again '' It's an error in sensor or / and wheel bearing.
So, sensor and wheel bearing are both new, what else it might be? It's probably not the wires, because ABS seems to work, just works in a strange way and lives it's own life before it shuts itself down after a minute or so of driving. I added a link of videos of what's happening from when i start the car to the moment ABS turns off and lights up.
Can someone help?

Regards

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Did you get the codes cleared after you changed the wheel bearing and sensor? Sometimes lights will stay on if the codes is still present. Also, make sure all tyres are the correct ones and the same size.

If you can find someone local with VCDS they can come out on the road with you and you can log what the individual sensors are recording live for the speed of each wheel when the fault occurs so you can be certain that the fault is on an individual wheel. Plus get the exact number and description of the fault code which should also tell you front/rear/left/right. I only say this just in case the wrong wheel has been reported as faulty!

.If the fault was exactly the same after the new parts were fitted it may be the wiring. If it is a rear sensor, on the old model there was a common point of corrosion in the loom on the left hand side of the van. The ABS pump could be at fault but my money is on a wiring fault causing erratic signals to be returned to the pump ECU.

Note- If you switch the ignition on with the ABS pump disconnected at any time during testing you will need VCDS to re-calibrate the steering angle sensor otherwise the ABS and ESP lights will be on permanently.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply. They in the VW dealers service did some repair on wiring too. Codes have been cleared after changing sensor and bearing. I don't remember the code, but it referred to sensor right side back. All tires are the same size. The person here suggested to pull a wire from ABS pump to the other end to see if it will make some difference, and if it will, change the wire. Maybe i should go for that..

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
You could do that but you would need access to the correct ABS pump pins and not short across any while testing. You could a continuity test with a meter but you would still need a pinout for the pump ECU. I would definitely check the splice in the rear wheel arch. There is a good thread with pics here. ABS wiring diagram

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was at the service again to start to look at wiring. We connected VCDS and in driving mode it showed code 00287, back right wheel. Signal is constant, but different and varies, while other wheels show 30mph, this one changes between 18mph and 30mph. Since the signal comes constant he assumed that there is no problem with wiring. Maybe it's because of the new sensor and/or bearing are not original ones. Gonna buy original sensor and see if it makes difference.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My money would still be on the wiring. I had a similar problem (2010 2.0l) and changed sensor (2x) and hub (2x) spent a wodge of dosh before I found that a connection in the loom above the rear wheel arch was at fault. Diagnostics showed the problem as intermittent with variable speeds being detected at random.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
  1. Thanks! Yes, I will check the connection in the loom while having a new original sensor as alternative. If it is connection, I can return the sensor. This problem has caused me a lot of pain already. Hope this will work

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! Yes, I will check the connection in the loom while having a new original sensor as alternative. If it is connection, I can return the sensor. This problem has caused me a lot of pain already. Hope this will work

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
hmm not sure those are the right wires. They could be, but I'm not sure. Best way to do it is follow the wire back from the ABS sensor.
depending on how hard that would be, you could always try swapping the 2 rear abs sensors plugs around (get some connectors from a scrap yard & make up 2 x extension cables) then go for a drive and see if it reports the rear left wheel as a fault. if it does it's 100% a wiring fault and you just have to follow the wire &check for damage or bad connections & repair/replace.
from my experience you can't rule out the possibility of a faulty new part you fitted, or maybe the pickup ring is installed incorrectly too close/too far away, or bent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My problem is fixed. After all this time ( about six months) we finally fixed it. It was all about wheel speed sensor. First time when i was at service they had put on not original sensor, which i now learned is called Delphi, i guess this was some low price sensor. And they assured me that it would work properly, so i excluded that this could be a problem. Today i bought an original one and just like magic, everything works good. I also learned from a guy that for some reason 2012 year's model can be resistant to unoriginal electronic measurement units, or setts of them like sensor and bearing, so this might have been the case, however bearing i replaced is still unoriginal. Thanks to everyone for replays

1 - 11 of 11 Posts