VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:

Im after a bit of advice if possible chaps, typically im skint and the van is up for mot, i fired a new set of glow plugs into her last week (2.5tdi acv) as this time of year it becomes a pain in the ass to start.

Now heres where im at, the last few mornings its been cold ish, if i let the glow plugs go out once, the light literally stays on for 1 second, crank it and she'll fire right up after about 8 seconds cranking, this morning i cycled the plugs 3 or 4 times and she fired up instantly. My question is this, is there a temp sensor that tells the circuit to fire the plugs for a length of time dependent on how cold it is? the glowplug light goes out after a second no more even when really cold, ive done winter after winter, setting fire to it, cranking the out of it, cycling it, but have never ever got the issue sorted. I know the plugs work, its just the length of time they need to stay on isnt enough, or is it more a case of getting the timing checked? or the engine is getting tired.

·
Registered
865 Posts
The pump timing needs checking as a healthy tdi engine should fire-up instantly with or without glow plugs ! It's not cold enough for the glowplugs to get energized !

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pump timing needs checking as a healthy tdi engine should fire-up instantly with or without glow plugs ! It's not cold enough for the glowplugs to get energized !
Thanks for the reply, im going to get my boys at the dyno to do a new belt/tensioners and reset the timing, i dont think its ever been right in the 6 years ive had it, weve had really mild winters up to the last few years and you dont even want to see how i was starting it in the winter for the last 2 years LOL

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
check out your temp sensor, water temp, it has 4 wires if i remember right 2 are for temp gauge 2 are for the ecu,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts