VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I started adding 2 stroke some months back and am sold on it. T:

My Multivan 2.5 tdi is 11 years old, 207k on the clock and runs like a sowing machine. Quiet, cleaner, smoother, more responsive and my average mpg has picked up...although mostly it is down to driving style and well inflated tyres to cut rolling resistance.

The 1st time I did it I added 500ml to a full 80 litre fill up. :* Being a sceptical so and so I did not have any expectations. But the engine was quieter just on driving off the forecourt. Within a mile or so you could feel a change.:D

I now add a 3rd of a litre for every full tank fill..I tend to fill up after every 700 miles or more. Best mpg has been 43.4 over 748 miles of commuting to work through lanes, A roads and Swindon town centre. A:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Will be purchasing some 2 stroke oil to try on next visit to garage, been running a VW Bora for 7 yrs always use Redex diesel additive so haven't really noticed if this has been of any benefit (seems stupid writing that!!!) but will maybe stop the Redex and try the 2T, my son runs an older VW Polo which is quite noisy (diesel) will maybe get him to try and see if there are any benefits. It certainly appears a strong argument to use 2T after reading the articles on the above link.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I tried it, and to be honest, it seemed quiter and I cant fault my fuel consumption. Maybe it's me wanting it to work, but it seems to. I:I:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I tried 2 stroke in my 2.5 (102) - i found it made no difference in mpg/performance/noise.... the only thing it did was make the fuel pump 'tick' (for want of a better description) when the fuel guage went below 1/4 full (was loud enough to hear when idling.... scared the be jazus out of me!).

ran 2 tanks with 2 stroke... then 1 tank without and the tick went - next tank with 2 stroke and the 'tick' came back - haven't used it since....!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've got a 2.5tdi with 230k miles on the clock, and have been adding two stroke for about 30k miles. Only noticed a small increase in fuel economy, but the engine definately runs quieter and smoother. Also got an Astra van (yeah I know...) with the Isuzu engine, been running that with two stroke for about 40k miles and I reckon I get more than 5% more miles per gallon.

I'm adding it at a ratio of 200:1

I'm sold on it, don't think I'll stop adding it.

·
Registered
820 Posts
...The 1st time I did it I added 500ml to a full 80 litre fill up. :* Being a sceptical so and so I did not have any expectations. But the engine was quieter just on driving off the forecourt. Within a mile or so you could feel a change

But surely the stuff in the tank with oil added hadn't reached the engine when you drove off forecourt? The pump and fuel lines/injectors
would have been full of the pre-oiled diesel.

There's an interesting discussion with on it here: http://eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=257408

...from that link the post that most sums up my way of thinking on this is the following:

"Once again, based on some internet posting (it must be true or it wouldn't be posted) and the results of the "butt" (seat of the pants) dyno, someone has bested all the automotive and petroleum engineers in the world."

·
Registered
647 Posts
hi i put a thread a few months back about adding 2 stroke oil ,iv been running it for quite a while now and so do my friends and we all have seen a big difference its got my thumbs up pal T:T:T:

·
Registered
799 Posts
i use it, no problems but im giving diesel rhino a go this week as im told it does the same & more as 2 stroke.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
But surely the stuff in the tank with oil added hadn't reached the engine when you drove off forecourt? The pump and fuel lines/injectors
would have been full of the pre-oiled diesel.

There's an interesting discussion with on it here: http://eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=257408

...from that link the post that most sums up my way of thinking on this is the following:

"Once again, based on some internet posting (it must be true or it wouldn't be posted) and the results of the "butt" (seat of the pants) dyno, someone has bested all the automotive and petroleum engineers in the world."
Fred...I agree with you as I had doubts. But it forms an emulsion with the fuel and that makes the difference, but you are right, it should have had a pipe line of standard diesel before it got through, so maybe I am being hysterical type, but as I pulled out onto the A420 from Sainsbury forecourt it sounded quieter. It had me surprised...:*

Give it a try is all I am saying. If you don't like it thats fine. But my van is built pre low sulpher diesel and the newer teflon coatings are not in my wagon. So the lubrication is welcome. (My wife says so...it has to be true:eek:)

Oops....David:)

·
Registered
820 Posts
lol, will give it a try actually as I have some chain saw oil knocking around in shed. Don't knock it till you've tried it eh?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Anyone tried this while running veg oil???
Not sure about Veg oil. Suggest taking a look at the Rhino guys site as they explain cetane levels etc. The 2 stroke may improve it slightly, but better talk to experts first. :)

It helps with modern low sulpher deisel and is mainly about helping lubricate fuel pumps etc. It does make it run quieter and smoother and I think helps with better mpg, but that last point is always a bit questionable.

But its down to how well it mixes. You could try it and see what you think. A:

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
So, in my '98 1.9TD on 165,000, bog standard 2 stroke mineral is the one?

Just about to embark on a fairly long journey and trying this for the first time!

I've put just under 3/4 of a tank in.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts