VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 801 series controller in the rear of the van but wondered if it's possible to add a second 801 in the front of the van so I can control the heater when I'm driving? My initial though is that I can't, unless there is a wiring loom splitter somewhere for sale?

I think I can add a simple switch to the 12v wire from controller to heater and mount that in the front but that would just turn it on/off, rather than being able to control the temperature and fan/heater choice. If this is my only option then does anyone know which coloured wire I need to splice into to achieve this function? Seen a key fob remote switch that i may go for in this case and just have a key fob in the front (and one in the house for frosty mornings!)

Cheers

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks for that.

To summarise... if I want a second switch I can make one DIY. Simply put a switch between the red and yellow wires on the loom between the controller and heater. This switch could be mounted in the cabin and turn the heater on/off. With the addition of a resistor and LED it will show power on/off (most cheap rocker switches come with a led already however). Note this would only run the heater on the last setting that was entered on the 801 controller.

However what would be better was to have 2 801 controllers. One in the back and one in the front. Does anyone know if it's possible to splice into each wire of the controller with a second controller loom and run that one to the front? Each controller could then be used separately with it's inbuilt temp sensor. Alternatively use the more simple rheostat dial control for the front and splice into the appropriate wires in the 801 loom. My concern is if these controls would work against each other in any way?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts