VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to have a leisure battery in the trailer that's connected to the one in the van? ie it will charge off the vans split charge/ehu and solar panel and supplement the vans leisure battery?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Puddles. Posted a thread there too T:

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
I have looked into this one and it's not a good idea.
When you link X2 bats together they should always be charged and drained in unison or you run into problems.... ie when you connect a 100% full bat to a 60% full bat.

In the end I just shoved a second 110ah battery under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
yes it can be done as long as you use decent cabling and split charge system it will work fine, dont worry about battery balance to much as long as you use two leisure batteries same size make etc.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I have looked into this one and it's not a good idea.
When you link X2 bats together they should always be charged and drained in unison or you run into problems.... ie when you connect a 100% full bat to a 60% full bat.

In the end I just shoved a second 110ah battery under the passenger seat.
so if your starter battery is fully charges and you have a leisure battery been used for the weekend what's the difference, one will be flatter than the other, but once you start the split charge joins them.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replys fellas. I decided against fitting it in the trailer in the end and put it in the van insteadT:

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Thanks for the replys fellas. I decided against fitting it in the trailer in the end and put it in the van insteadT:
no different from fitting it in a caravan and towing behind lol

·
Registered
373 Posts
There is a video on YouTube and the guy on it says it is not a good idea to link two leisure batteries together. They will not charge evenly and the one with lower charge drags the other one down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts