VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought some of that rubber 'D' section to seal the front doors to quieten the ride and "Close like a Golf...

I have looked at several videos on YouTube and read accounts of how it's done. But they are NOT all the same. There seems to be at least a couple of paths on either door that get used.

What is the correct way to fit them?

Photos and an explanation of why the method is correct/best would also be very helpful...

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe that is the correct way but I cannot see what happens on the bottom of the door.

Has it made a noticeable difference?

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I fitted my additional door seals today. It took about 15 minutes, it's very easy to do, I cleaned the path with meths.

And boy does it make a difference! It is much better than the videos on YouTube led me to believe it would be, maybe something with the recorded sound. Both doors now close with a very pleasing 'thunk' and there is no longer any bounce.

Very pleased indeed.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Be been Umming and ahhing about buying these for a few weeks now, having just read your recent post guess what I just ordered on EbayI:A::)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I fitted my additional door seals today. It took about 15 minutes, it's very easy to do, I cleaned the path with meths.

And boy does it make a difference! It is much better than the videos on YouTube led me to believe it would be, maybe something with the recorded sound. Both doors now close with a very pleasing 'thunk' and there is no longer any bounce.

Very pleased indeed.

I am not bothered about the clunk on shutting.... I am bothered about road noise in the cab....
Can you please comment....
There is a video on YouTube where a guy has a sound meter and it does not improve, the road noise...
Cheers for info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not bothered about the clunk on shutting.... I am bothered about road noise in the cab....
I drove the T5 a short way today and I couldn't honestly say I noticed any difference. But it will help to some degree I would think.

The best thing for me is the lack of bounce when shutting. I'm very pleased with the mod...

·
2012 180 Sportline SWB Camper
1,144 Posts
There is a video on YouTube where a guy has a sound meter and it does not improve, the road noise...
Cheers for info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Negligible difference if any.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I fitted mine yesterday and noticed a big difference with the shut test, it does shut with a clunk. not driven it anywhere yet to listen to the road noise..

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
My van appears to be quieter after the mod and although it could be a psychological thing, it's worth the small outlay just to have the doors close with a positive thud and not a twang.
Sounds like a Golf....maybe so! :D

·
Registered
9,205 Posts
The bottom corners of the doors tend to flap when the door is slammed shut resulting rust forming where they touch the shell . ..this seal takes out the bounce so helps stop this ....aswell as 'the clunk' .

Surely its gotta help with road noise ..even if its just a little bit .

I cant say i noticed a vast improvement on road noise when we did ours.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The bottom corners of the doors tend to flap when the door is slammed shut resulting rust forming where they touch the shell . ..this seal takes out the bounce so helps stop this ....aswell as 'the clunk' .

Surely its gotta help with road noise ..even if its just a little bit .

I cant say i noticed a vast improvement on road noise when we did ours.
Absolutely spot on....my drivers door had been merrily rubbing away at the paint on the body causing a lovely rust line where the bottom edge of the door had been doing it's work.

Now after prepping it up and a good paint with a touch up stick and the addition of the additional door seal two months later and many hundreds of door slams later (I'm a parcel courier) problem has completely gone A:

Don't think it's much quieter though ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts