VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am new to the forum and looking to buy a converted T4 off Ebay and i just wanted to get an idea of if the price is reasonable or not.

I have gone onto the generic parkers price web sites however it only states the generic panel van price and hence it is a lot less than the price it is for sale for.

The link is below and any advice on price or condition would be appreciated

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321213258973#ht_90wt_1141

Cheers

Craig

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
On the plus side it looks to have a Reimo seat/bed which are expensive, downsides are lack of service history, cambelt will need changed, and it's to much money for the 1.9td motor whether it's all bought and paid for or not I: T:

BTW the last statement on the ad rings alarm bells for me ..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok and thanks and what would you say would be a reasonable price to pay then ?

Also re the last statement I agree that sounds a little strange but to be fair he updated the add after i asked re HPI check and details etc so i am not to concerned

·
Registered
202 Posts
The phrase at the end would worry be a little.

Car finance is unavailable on any vehicle once it reaches 10 years old and would show up on an HPI if under 10 years old.

However, logbook loans, as they use an obsolete loophole in common law and bill of sale i.e you sell the vehicle to the loan company and buy it back in monthly payments - this does not have an age restriction and does not show up on HPI. It also means the loan company own it so if you buy it, they can simply take it back and this does happen more often than you think.

I would not understand why someone would feel the need to put that phrase on an advert for an old van like this.

That and as already said, it's too much money, I just thought I'd share the above with people as don't want people caught out

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
The phrase at the end would worry be a little.

Car finance is unavailable on any vehicle once it reaches 10 years old and would show up on an HPI if under 10 years old.

However, logbook loans, as they use an obsolete loophole in common law and bill of sale i.e you sell the vehicle to the loan company and buy it back in monthly payments - this does not have an age restriction and does not show up on HPI. It also means the loan company own it so if you buy it, they can simply take it back and this does happen more often than you think.

I would not understand why someone would feel the need to put that phrase on an advert for an old van like this.

That and as already said, it's too much money, I just thought I'd share the above with people as don't want people caught out
Good stuff, you learn something new every day !

As for price of the van, it wouldn't be on my watch list, I'd wait until a good quality regular bus came up which if your planning on spending that kind of figure should be available at some point.

Patience is indeed a virtue :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
As above, I would buy a decent van with history and build it up to my own spec, that way you know wha'ts what and will enjoy it better, no hidden gremlins to worry about etc.
(that's what I did anyway)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice however I thought i would buy a van that has been done first then see what i like and the family etc then design one to my own spec

I guess its a bit of a lazy approach but thought maybe a bit safer to begin with

Advice on price would be good as I have been looking for a while and most vans with this level of spec seem to go for this level of price from what i can see however you guys are the experts so if you think i should just wait and see it would be good to get your advice

if not then it would be good to understand what maximum price you think i shoiuld pay if i go for it ?

Cheers

Craig

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi,
What engine is it?
I would say you only have to price up the extras. I think it is expensive as it hasn't even been made into a camper, which I would at least expect at that price. So basically a sound system, 2 captain swivel seats, R & R bed and the body kit/spraying, alloys, plus the indicator lenses at the front. I would say £2K too much?
With finance on cars they have very strict criteria, I looked into it when I considered a 7 seater family car. They said 8 years old or less was ideal for them and under 100,000 miles. They would go a bit older if it had low miles. Not likely for a 2001, you would need to know the mileage when he got it. Either way that would show on HPI checks.
The only possible way he could have loaned money would be separate finance agreements for the kit but not for labour costs like spraying unless it was a bank loan. He could have got finance from different companies, if you check out T4srus they offer finance for kit but this is a loan against your own name, not the vehicle (same as the bank). As already said they only other possibility is the log book loan which is a totally different game and the vehicle is at risk if it doesn't get paid. That said if he took out a loan against the vehicle to do the work then they would have only valued it similar to Parkers, which doesn't explain how £2000 has become £6750 ???
I would say if you have that kind of cash available, do it yourself and save cash? Or rather than risk so much money on it if you don't know what you want, get something cheaper and more cheerful as the potential for loss is less...till you know what you want.
There are loads of different style vans on here in threads etc and many ways of doing it. I personally am not sure about the high spec? There is only the body kit, R & R and a sound system. Not sure that is high spec, it is all body kit and a few bits extra?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
It looks a nice van to me.....but a grand too much! I: Lots in it's favour, number plate is pretty cool and the interior looks OK. Not sure why everyone is hung up on the finance aspect though:* Wait a month or two and there will be a van with your name on it. T:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
as above, its at least 1k over priced...

mine will be back up for sale shortly, a much nicer van (even tho I do say so myself) and is cheaper tooT:

·
Registered
364 Posts
re finance subject...I think it was only because the guy selling said there are no outstanding payments...? Surely if you have paid up for your stuff then it is no business of a future buyer and not really relevant to the sales ad?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts