VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Yellow van man
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still loooking for the right T5 and am thinking about blowing my budget out of the water and buying VW Approved. I am looking at a 2008 on a 58 1.9TDI, 15000 miles, air con, electric windows and mirrors, tailgate, £10990 +vat.

The wiser (?) alternative is a 2007 on a 57 1.9 TDI T28, 50000 miles, air con, tailgate, £7995 +vat. Comes with an RAC warranty.

Would you say these are good prices? Which would offer the best buy? Torn between buying a virtually new van or going for the cheaper option and enjoying the cash saved!
:*
Jim

·
Premium Member
4,628 Posts
for me the sake of a year vs money saved would be a no brainer, but have you driven either? I dont know if there was any significant changes made during the intervening year, but Dazboi will and if hes not on now, he will be tomorrow (most probably) and help you with your potential purchase.

(ps dont be put off him by all the random rubbish he posts, he does know his stuff)

·
Premium Member
6,506 Posts
The T28 sounds pretty good to me. That mileage is not an issue at all.

The only thing I would be worried about is the load rating. What do you plan to do with the van? If you're planning a camper conversion then neither of these vans will be much use. A Reimo camper like ours would normally be based on a T30 and they've got 450 kg of cargo capability. A T28 would therefore have 250kg capacity (i.e. 4 passengers - no luggage) and a T26 would be at it limit with just the driver. If you're after a simple day van then you'll be okay.

·
Yellow van man
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. A full conversion maybe a lot further down the line but for now I am after a day van that I can put my motorbike in and a camp cot for track days and cart about my bulky stuff. Slow time conversion for sure. My main interest is getting my base vehicle right and buying whilst the demand is reduced. Trying to find one with air con and electric pack with a tailgate is proving very difficult!

·
Yellow van man
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Almost went for the T28 in the end then noticed it had a big black ventilator stuck on the roof. Removing that and sorting out the hole put me right off it.

Have been trawling the net looking for good vans and have found a 2005 lwb 1.9 TDI 104BHP 93k for £8700. It has air con, electric pack and tailgate which is what I am really looking for but I was hoping to find something more like an 07 with around 50k on it. Is this a reasonable price to pay? It looks clean and in good condition and apparently has a full history. :*

·
Registered
43 Posts
Almost went for the T28 in the end then noticed it had a big black ventilator stuck on the roof. Removing that and sorting out the hole put me right off it.

Have been trawling the net looking for good vans and have found a 2005 lwb 1.9 TDI 104BHP 93k for £8700. It has air con, electric pack and tailgate which is what I am really looking for but I was hoping to find something more like an 07 with around 50k on it. Is this a reasonable price to pay? It looks clean and in good condition and apparently has a full history. :*
good thing you didnt go for the t26, thats a 84ps 1.9tdi and really needs a bit of remapping to make the drive a bit better at motorway speeds.

check the history out, as thats key for a good engine. the 1.9tdi can do huge mileage but needs the proper servicing behind it. at that mileage i would test drive it and listen for any knocks and bangs over roundabouts and when changing direction as the bushes may be worn and perished by now. they might have been done though. is that price VAT inc or ex?

also when checking the history out, make sure you ring the dealer, the number might be on the stamp itself, just to make sure its defo been done and not a fake stamp ;)

·
Yellow van man
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Spats, that price is all in. I was advised by Dazboi that the start price was a bit strong at this time of year. I have a couple of 9 seaters I am looking at as well so have other options. Not so keen on all those windows but they are already colour coded, have the specs I want and have spare seats to sell on!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Spats, that price is all in. I was advised by Dazboi that the start price was a bit strong at this time of year. I have a couple of 9 seaters I am looking at as well so have other options. Not so keen on all those windows but they are already colour coded, have the specs I want and have spare seats to sell on!
price is a bit strong, but i would have a look and just stick to a price you want to pay for it. they can only say no after all.

the 9 seaters sound good, but are they taxed as vans or people carriers? if they are on the emmission based road fund licence then they will be allot more each year to tax. but as you say you could whip the seats out and just limo tint the windows and the paintwork is already done!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.