VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I have just swapped my car for a t4 1999 bus worth half the value. I know I'm nuts but I really wanted one. Unfortunately I have been awake for over 30 hours and I managed to get ripped off big style. The van is a self made conversion that looks ok but is not conventional inside, all the cooker, fridge etc is in the back. It has been lowered and the engine/gearbox sounds like they will blow anytime soon. The suspension is banging like mad, it has no power (its a 2.4tdi but with some weight in it) it screams at about 60mph. Some door locks don't work. I am going to start looking at the jobs to do but I'm asking you guys where to start. Is it normal for lowered sus to make such bad noises? Can I do this work myself? I'm so deflated and I need picking back up. I have lost a few grand on this. Any positive feedback on where to start would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Hi bud and welcome to the forum

Don't dispare get on to the Wales section and get chatting to some of the guys local to you and get them to look over the van for you ,

First off, get some pics up , the van might belong to member on here or someone might know about the van

Secondly try and make the van secure , when u say locks not working, do you mean with the key or central locking? If central locking then it's usually a broken wire in the flexible tube between door and van and is an easy fix

Suspension noises knocks hangs and squeaks can be anything from broken spring to worn bushes or knackered cv joints, some are easy to fix and some not

You should be able to replace the following with common tools and at little expense :
Drop links
Anti roll bar bushes
Shocks
Track rod ends

Other things like upper ball joints can be tricky to do yourself but not impossible

Get some pics up :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I didn't drive it until after filling in v5. Due to 12 hour nights I wasn't thinking straight. We got the police involved but no joy. I'm stuck with her now. I don't mind spending the time doing any work its simply the money. We just had a baby. I'm panicking the engine is on its way out. I'm gonna take your much appreciated advice and take some pics tomorrow after some much needed sleep. I can lock her up so it is secure.

Thanks so much for replying, I feel somewhat better cheers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Don't worry dude! i'm relatively new here but I can already tell you there is loads + loads of excellent advice and plenty of really good help on here i'm seeing.

Listen- everything is fixable..

if it makes you feel better I have just bought a 800 special, (last Saturday 21st Jan) I think it's a cracking good van, but to my disappointment the engine smokes loads, timing is definitely off, the starter makes a noise on start up just after starting, I can hear what I think is the clutch release bearing on idle, and I'm now suspecting she's suffering from the dreaded crank woodruff key disease, but i've had a few days since driving her back down the M1 for this to all settle in in my head, and I know this will be a cracking van, even if this engine is foobarred, i'll fit another one, probably TDi.

Sure with these problems I might of paid a bit over the odds but think of the great times you are going to have traveling around with your family!

Chin up dude! it's all fixable! T:

Tim

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Dan yes but more than that. I have some knowledge and would say the clutch, gearbox and engine all need looking at.The sounds from the suspension might simply be because its lowered (I have never been in one thats lowered before so not sure). Im feeling much happier today. I have been waved to be my first fellow VW Camper mate and I just found about a grands worth of speakers, amps etc under the seats. Not really into the music so on ebay it will go once I find out what it is. A:

Hopefully with help I will be ready for the summer. Next year I will be at bug jam, I havent been for a few years. Gonna try and upload a photo now. Cheers Bud :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
the metallic tapping noise when it starts press the brake pedal repeatedly if it stops its the brake vacuum pump.rod is wore out.. its not a big deal really, its not dangerous and wont stop working.... mine is the same... ill explain more later mate as i have to go out..

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don't worry too much until its been looked further into!!
I recently bought a LWB 2.5tdi which I put on the ramp and it seemed sound enough. After I got it home it started making all sorts of noises - suspension banging (not lowered at that point), gearbox whining, a horrible tapping sound which sounds like a rapper or follower about to exit the rocker cover. After a day underneath I changed an array of bits and decoked the intake (EGR valves have a lot to answer for), changed gearbox oil as I reckon it was the original stuff as it was like water which shut the gearbox up (I thought it was rebuild time) and the engine noise is the vacuum pump pin. So rather than an engine and gearbox rebuild I thought I needed it needed a damn good service and about £100 in bits!
I just need to stop the intermittent plumes of fuel smelling smoke now and I'll be happy!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don't worry too much until its been looked further into!!
I recently bought a LWB 2.5tdi which I put on the ramp and it seemed sound enough. After I got it home it started making all sorts of noises - suspension banging (not lowered at that point), gearbox whining, a horrible tapping sound which sounds like a tappet or follower about to exit the rocker cover. After a day underneath I changed an array of bits and decoked the intake (EGR valves have a lot to answer for), changed gearbox oil as I reckon it was the original stuff as it was like water which shut the gearbox up (I thought it was rebuild time) and the engine noise is the vacuum pump pin. So rather than an engine and gearbox rebuild I thought I needed it needed a damn good service and about £100 in bits!
I just need to stop the intermittent plumes of fuel smelling smoke now and I'll be happy!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks stick, I am feeling a lot happier now. It turns out the flashing light on dash is linked to me having no brake lights. I have spent hours on here last few days. I checked the obvious like bulbs, fuse and pedal switch but still no joy. I have ordered vagcom tool to do more diagnosis.

With all the posts on here and help off everyone we will get it sorted ready for summer hopefully. Cheers for the reply mate. Hope all is well with yours now :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.