VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don't worry too much until its been looked further into!!
I recently bought a LWB 2.5tdi which I put on the ramp and it seemed sound enough. After I got it home it started making all sorts of noises - suspension banging (not lowered at that point), gearbox whining, a horrible tapping sound which sounds like a rapper or follower about to exit the rocker cover. After a day underneath I changed an array of bits and decoked the intake (EGR valves have a lot to answer for), changed gearbox oil as I reckon it was the original stuff as it was like water which shut the gearbox up (I thought it was rebuild time) and the engine noise is the vacuum pump pin. So rather than an engine and gearbox rebuild I thought I needed it needed a damn good service and about £100 in bits!
I just need to stop the intermittent plumes of fuel smelling smoke now and I'll be happy!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don't worry too much until its been looked further into!!
I recently bought a LWB 2.5tdi which I put on the ramp and it seemed sound enough. After I got it home it started making all sorts of noises - suspension banging (not lowered at that point), gearbox whining, a horrible tapping sound which sounds like a tappet or follower about to exit the rocker cover. After a day underneath I changed an array of bits and decoked the intake (EGR valves have a lot to answer for), changed gearbox oil as I reckon it was the original stuff as it was like water which shut the gearbox up (I thought it was rebuild time) and the engine noise is the vacuum pump pin. So rather than an engine and gearbox rebuild I thought I needed it needed a damn good service and about £100 in bits!
I just need to stop the intermittent plumes of fuel smelling smoke now and I'll be happy!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.