VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I have just swapped my car for a t4 1999 bus worth half the value. I know I'm nuts but I really wanted one. Unfortunately I have been awake for over 30 hours and I managed to get ripped off big style. The van is a self made conversion that looks ok but is not conventional inside, all the cooker, fridge etc is in the back. It has been lowered and the engine/gearbox sounds like they will blow anytime soon. The suspension is banging like mad, it has no power (its a 2.4tdi but with some weight in it) it screams at about 60mph. Some door locks don't work. I am going to start looking at the jobs to do but I'm asking you guys where to start. Is it normal for lowered sus to make such bad noises? Can I do this work myself? I'm so deflated and I need picking back up. I have lost a few grand on this. Any positive feedback on where to start would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I didn't drive it until after filling in v5. Due to 12 hour nights I wasn't thinking straight. We got the police involved but no joy. I'm stuck with her now. I don't mind spending the time doing any work its simply the money. We just had a baby. I'm panicking the engine is on its way out. I'm gonna take your much appreciated advice and take some pics tomorrow after some much needed sleep. I can lock her up so it is secure.

Thanks so much for replying, I feel somewhat better cheers.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Dan yes but more than that. I have some knowledge and would say the clutch, gearbox and engine all need looking at.The sounds from the suspension might simply be because its lowered (I have never been in one thats lowered before so not sure). Im feeling much happier today. I have been waved to be my first fellow VW Camper mate and I just found about a grands worth of speakers, amps etc under the seats. Not really into the music so on ebay it will go once I find out what it is. A:

Hopefully with help I will be ready for the summer. Next year I will be at bug jam, I havent been for a few years. Gonna try and upload a photo now. Cheers Bud :)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks stick, I am feeling a lot happier now. It turns out the flashing light on dash is linked to me having no brake lights. I have spent hours on here last few days. I checked the obvious like bulbs, fuse and pedal switch but still no joy. I have ordered vagcom tool to do more diagnosis.

With all the posts on here and help off everyone we will get it sorted ready for summer hopefully. Cheers for the reply mate. Hope all is well with yours now :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.