VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice on VW van please. Looking at buying a VW T-sporter T30 TDI LWB 2.5 engine. Any problems or things to look out for? Hoping to part convert but I'm a verging going to van from car. Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Advice on VW van please. Looking at buying a VW T-sporter T30 TDI LWB 2.5 engine. Any problems or things to look out for? Hoping to part convert but I'm a verging going to van from car. Thanks.
We have a 2.5 SWB camper, late 2007 model. It's covered nearly 200k miles. It had a new camshaft and turbo at 140k, but other than that's it's been great. Most on here will probably advise against the 2.5, but it's a strong engine that will keep going if it's looked after properly. No timing belt to worry about either!

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I agree, I've had mine 5 years now, service every year with correct oil. I would have another one

·
Registered
287 Posts
Mine is a LWB front wheel drive, 128Kw version with low mileage and I am happy with it, owned for 8 yrs, original engine & parts except for alternator & ac compressor elastic drive couplings & freewheels, & filters, alternator overhaul while couplings were done. Original auto transmission going ok, regularly serviced. All brakes have been done once. Suspension changes.

Make your list of essential requirements, try hard to stick to it.
2.5 5cyl life expectancy is very dependent on regular early oil changes with the correct 506.01 oil, try to verify its usage.
Air conditioning, electric windows, swivel seats, cruise control, rear wiper, all add to the comfort, If it has them make sure all are operational.
When looking, if they have done around 100K miles (you'll be lucky) try and find one which has had a major service at 100,000 miles recently completed,
- Includes air, cabin filters, oil & oil filter changed, etc
- Includes - Alternator & ac compressor elastic drive couplings & freewheels renewed, also fuel filter.
If you can't be sure of those items then allow for those costs or be a little careful, they should have been done.
If auto trans, it is essential it has been serviced at least a couple of times with new pan filter & ATF, the "sealed for life" instruction was the death knell for these, no service no buy, verify.

If 4Motion ask for a service history, test drive & with diff lock on if fitted (read up how)
Always follow up verifying of servicing history, ask for invoices, dealer service records.
This is just a short list, you probably know most of it, good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts