VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi one and all, I'm after some hints and tips to help my van start up a little easier on a cold morning. It really did struggle to get going this morning as it was -14. Apparently its only going to get colder over the next month (Im in Germany) i really want to help combat this problem. Any advice? Wrap the battery in a blanket and leave a candle burning lol.

Cheeeeeeeeers

:)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Only minus 5 here last night But I still turn the key wait till the heater light goes out ,then turn the key off and then on again

I feel this makes extra sure the glow plugs are good and hot

The other thing I have seen in regions where it gets very cold ,is a AC heat element in line on one of the water pipes

Pluged into the electric from your House ,it keeps the water temp at a nice level and therefor the motor is warm as well ???

·
Registered
487 Posts
Es ist auch sehr kalt bei uns.

I was in Fally many moons ago - (when Noah was a lad) and we used to park up nose into the wall if possible.

Cultivate a relationship with your friendly REME VM and "borrow" a battery charger/conditioner. This will ensure your battery is in tip top state.

Avoid short runs.

Drink plenty of Herforder Pils and get loadsa bratties down yer neck.T:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only minus 5 here last night But I still turn the key wait till the heater light goes out ,then turn the key off and then on again

I feel this makes extra sure the glow plugs are good and hot

The other thing I have seen in regions where it gets very cold ,is a AC heat element in line on one of the water pipes

Pluged into the electric from your House ,it keeps the water temp at a nice level and therefor the motor is warm as well ???
Had them when i was out in Canada and they worked a treat. Am in a flat over here in Germany so wouldn't be able to run a lead to the car. Not without grouting one of the neighbours I: Will try try the key on and off trick tomorrow, that kind of worked this morning. Is worrying me that its only going to get colder. Do they do some sort of super glow plug that heats up quicker??

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Es ist auch sehr kalt bei uns.

I was in Fally many moons ago - (when Noah was a lad) and we used to park up nose into the wall if possible.

Cultivate a relationship with your friendly REME VM and "borrow" a battery charger/conditioner. This will ensure your battery is in tip top state.

Avoid short runs.

Drink plenty of Herforder Pils and get loadsa bratties down yer neck.T:
LOL:LOL: ha ha. Im the USA for an LAD, will go speak to them tomorrow and see if they can square me away, either that or demand a webasto heater T:T:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does anyone know a part number for these water pipe heaters, or what they are called, or even better a place that sells them for a reasonable amount of money?

Turning the key 3 times worked for me this morning. 2x may have worked but it was cold so I used an extra turn.

Problem for me was that I had forgotten to leave the hand brake off so that had frozen on. So it was a walk for me.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know a part number for these water pipe heaters, or what they are called, or even better a place that sells them for a reasonable amount of money?

Turning the key 3 times worked for me this morning. 2x may have worked but it was cold so I used an extra turn.

Problem for me was that I had forgotten to leave the hand brake off so that had frozen on. So it was a walk for me.
Guess i'm going back outside to take my handbrake off I:

·
Registered
485 Posts
LOL:LOL: ha ha. Im the USA for an LAD, will go speak to them tomorrow and see if they can square me away, either that or demand a webasto heater T:T:
They should square you away then or no spares for them next time when there in a rush LOL:

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Cycle the glow plugs is the most reliable way 3 or 4 times before attempting a start in extreme cold and keep your battery in tip top condition.

·
Registered
494 Posts
my old mk1 and mk2 golfs book said 0 to -10 pull cold start out, below -10 leave it in start in the normal way,when the engine is firing pull it out to make it run properly.i used this way in 1984 cold snap [raf benson oxon]recorded -27c one night and with some extra anti wax agent no problem starting my old banger

·
Registered
324 Posts
read something about dipping the clutch when turning over reduces the strain on starter motor and battery giving u extra time to get started. mine 2 weeks ago was struggling to start, tested my old heater plugs and 3 were down, changed um now fires first time, even on these cold mornings. the engine can fire on 2 plugs but will struggle. worth checking and maybe replace

·
Registered
615 Posts
Not sure if this helps but I tend to pump the accelerator peddle a couple of times and heat the glow plugs twice. Maybe try putting a blanket over the engine overnight REMEMBER to take it out before you start it !

I also put the clucth in before I start just a habbiit now ! If theres some sort of Car port you can park it in may also help or near a wall ?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
-14 this morning and started pretty much straight away after warming the glow plugs three times. Thanks guys T:

·
Registered
958 Posts
All of these might be common sense to most but.....
Dip the clutch, cycle the glow plugs 3/4 times, radio off, heater fan off, lights off...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Check the glow pugs as well.

We've got a van at work that's been struggling to start. turns out two of the plugs were dead.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts