VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all....just sold my T5 T30 130, now want something a bit simpler in the engine department....after a T4 but not sure which engine to go for...could someone who knows shed light between the 1.9 non-turbo, the 1.9TD, and the 2.4 non-turbo - how they compare re reliability, mpg & durability......am hesitant re the 2.5TDI after my T5 PD engine but not sure if I need be as I am told it is quite different....decisions decisions decisions....OCD?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi I have a 1.9 non turbo cheap to run easy to fix maintain etc I love it its not fast but its a great drive and with 215k on the clock its as new fitted timing belt today diy no ecu to worry about no turbo etc etc for me less is more its up to you good luck in your search.T:

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Hi Fella I have a 2.4d ABB motor in mine and its got 230k on the clock and starts every time , they have a simple swirl injection pump and they are almost bomb proof,

The early type non turbos are all a bit on the slower side of life but mine will pull a caravan fully loaded no problem. as for fuel mine will do 30mpg on a run if you take it steady.

The other up side is you an run them on chip oil, at 99p a littre that makes for cheap running T:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I would go for the 2.5 TDI, as they are pretty reliable, and far cheaper to repair than a PD engine!
I have owned a 1.9D and a 2.5TDI, and the 2.5 was significantly better on fuel for the same driving style.
Also the 2.5 can be fairly easily modified for quite a lot more BHP:)

·
Registered
823 Posts
I've got a 1.9TD with boost tweak and a 2,5TDI thats been remapped and decatted etc etc but i think thats the 1.9TDI conversion is the best of all worlds. Similar power to the 2,5 (unless heavily tuned) but a nice harmonically balanced 4 pot and as it's fitted in so many other motors parts are everywhere and as it's a TDI you get all the economy benefits. Well my tuppenysworth anyhows.

·
Registered
907 Posts
My '92 Westy with the 2.4D non-turbo 5-cyl. AAB engine and 165k on the clock does 31mpg, starts first time - every time, is comparatively slow but pulls well. Once 'wound up' on the motorway it will hold 70mph all day, up-hill and down.
It all depends on your priorities - only you can decide.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mines a 2.5tdi 88hp ajt, 130000 mile, decat, egr binned, intercooler fitted, starts first time every time, returning regular 40plus mpg and goes well enough for me, daily driver and driven hard some times, takes the caravan fine, your choice fella.T:

·
Registered
285 Posts
We had a 2.4d works van everyone drove it. got hammered even had it on 2 wheels during a balloon tether. did 330,000 miles miles.before it was condemed. Brilliant bit of kit. :ILU:

·
Registered
865 Posts
As above, 1.9Td with broken engine and swap a tdi engine in it or 2.5 Tdi, out of the box is good for over 200Bhp without opening the engine. Both cases will respond well to aftermarket mods but the 1.9Tdi usiing a VNT turbo is a little easier to live with and much more flexible. If you decide to fill the car with fridges and units and beds then the 2.5 is a no brainer !

·
Registered
779 Posts
I think previous posts of 30mpg out of the 2.4AAB on a run is low to be fair, my 2.4 Caravelle, with 6 people & loaded with kit gives us 36mpg on regular runs from Bristol to Poole.
Around town on exceptionally short trips it returns about 31mpg.

On long hills mine struggles, telegraph hill at the bottom of the M5 for example, at the top I'll be doing 40-45 mph, with a smile on my face as I urge the kids lo lean forward, under normal driving the power does not irritate me, no it's not fast but don't seem that slow either.

Again like you have already leaned towards, I love the simplicity of it, I also have a company car & have gone through most high pressure diesels, don't get it! I've had injector leaks, dual mass failures, loads of electrical faults & fuel pump faults, I do clock a few miles up to be fair but theres no way I would finance running any modern high pressure diesel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts