VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a yr 2000 1.9TD abl which has never been the fastest, but I have noticeably loss of power this last week.... :*

Its when I start it up from cold, it just doesnt want to go. I can have my foot to the floor in 1st and 2nd gear and it feels like the back brakes are on, but if I take it out of gear and coast, it doesnt 'brake' so cant be that.

It is not over reving, with foot to floor it very slowly creeps up, and then there is a noticeable boost at 3200 revs (I normally change gear before this overwise)

Its not smoking, I dont think its anything to do with the cold weather (it has been fairly mild) I do not have an ECU, so 'limp mode' is unlikely?

There is a very slight burnt oil/diesel smell from engine, but I may just never of noticed this before.

When the van is at temp, it drives as it should allmost, with only a little lag.

Any suggestions please??

oh, and hope everyone had a good crimbo :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi there, I have exactly the same issue these last few weeks, like EXACTLY!
I was coming on the forum to write a post but you've already done it for me.
I was thinking it must be the cold - but I didn't have this problem last year and I think it was colder.
I totally agree it does get a lot better when it's fully warm but it's still not full power.
The boost at higher revs is the turbo kicking in I guess, mine seems to kick in at 2800rpm ish.
Don't suppose you've had any luck figuring it out? I'd be really interested if so.
My T4 is 2001 1.9TD so effectively the same van I guess (not sure what the abl means in your post though?).
If I learn anything I'll let you know too.
Good luck
Rich

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi, I have a yr 2000 1.9TD abl which has never been the fastest, but I have noticeably loss of power this last week.... :*

Its when I start it up from cold, it just doesnt want to go. I can have my foot to the floor in 1st and 2nd gear and it feels like the back brakes are on, but if I take it out of gear and coast, it doesnt 'brake' so cant be that.

It is not over reving, with foot to floor it very slowly creeps up, and then there is a noticeable boost at 3200 revs (I normally change gear before this overwise)

Its not smoking, I dont think its anything to do with the cold weather (it has been fairly mild) I do not have an ECU, so 'limp mode' is unlikely?

There is a very slight burnt oil/diesel smell from engine, but I may just never of noticed this before.

When the van is at temp, it drives as it should allmost, with only a little lag.

Any suggestions please??

oh, and hope everyone had a good crimbo :)
Hi pal, when was the last time you changed the fuel filter?? I experienced the exact same on an Iveco truck that I was driving for work a few years back...it would start ok but as soon as you tried any throttle it didnt want to know. Turned out the filter was blocked and restricted the flow and wasnt delivering the quantity needed. Change the filter,,,,only a few £'s...that may be the problem. Hope it works out

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi there, I have exactly the same issue these last few weeks, like EXACTLY!
I was coming on the forum to write a post but you've already done it for me.
I was thinking it must be the cold - but I didn't have this problem last year and I think it was colder.
I totally agree it does get a lot better when it's fully warm but it's still not full power.
The boost at higher revs is the turbo kicking in I guess, mine seems to kick in at 2800rpm ish.
Don't suppose you've had any luck figuring it out? I'd be really interested if so.
My T4 is 2001 1.9TD so effectively the same van I guess (not sure what the abl means in your post though?).
If I learn anything I'll let you know too.
Good luck
Rich
Havnt got to the bottom of this yet. I have been busy at work and havnt had time, and I'm off on hols saturday!!

Its getting worst!! 1st gear flat to floor and I did 0-20 in about 15 seconds!!

I have been asking lots of people I know...

some suggestions are:

Turbo - but its kicking in, not smoking and I know turbos make a noise when they go. So dont think its this.
Pump?
Sensor on exhaust - Not sure if I have a sensor, but apparently I may have an ecu, so gonna take it to be plugged in (or look stupid because it cant as I guessed!)
EGR - I have blanked this about 10 months ago, so as its self cleaned, it may have blocked something. So going do an engine flush.

its really embarrassing, and fairly dangerous!!

ABL is the type of engine I have, just incase someone with knowledge needed to know :)

Hi pal, when was the last time you changed the fuel filter?? I experienced the exact same on an Iveco truck that I was driving for work a few years back...it would start ok but as soon as you tried any throttle it didnt want to know. Turned out the filter was blocked and restricted the flow and wasnt delivering the quantity needed. Change the filter,,,,only a few £'s...that may be the problem. Hope it works out
Thanks for your response, I did a full service 10k ago where I changed EVERYTHING. I also use redex every 4 tank loads. I'm going to service it again when I get back from hols, so I will replace it again if I havnt got to bottom of it.

Some further info is - Millage is at 97k, full service 10k ago, I change the oil/oil filter every 5k. have blanked egr and have full stainless de-cat exhaust. Except the pipe from manifold to where cat should be, and I apparently have a slight 'gas leak' there. Well, so said the MOTer in November. :*

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dude!
Have exactly the same problem and posted this same query only about a week ago.
Replies came back that it could be the throttle cable. It is a common fault by all accounts.
There are other responses/threads that say you can lubricate the cable, but I've decided to change mine. Not cheap though, but I have ordered it through Breeze VW (found it quite difficult to find an alternative supplier) £48!

Have you tried flicking the throttle from inside the engine bay?? If it picks up as normal from there (as mine does) it's got to be the cable. Try adjusting it for a quick fix, but I don't think that this lasts too long.

Hope that this helps :ILU:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dude!
Have exactly the same problem and posted this same query only about a week ago.
Replies came back that it could be the throttle cable. It is a common fault by all accounts.
There are other responses/threads that say you can lubricate the cable, but I've decided to change mine. Not cheap though, but I have ordered it through Breeze VW (found it quite difficult to find an alternative supplier) £48!

Have you tried flicking the throttle from inside the engine bay?? If it picks up as normal from there (as mine does) it's got to be the cable. Try adjusting it for a quick fix, but I don't think that this lasts too long.

Hope that this helps :ILU:
Ha! cheers, it did cross my mind its the trottle cable when it got 'stuck' a few days ago. I took my foot off and still reving!!

I adjusted it to its maximum last year, so yes, I will be replacing it!! I have heard its an expensive part, Mills auto dont do one and said its a VW part only. I didnt order one then because the adjustment fixed it. let me know, and I will order it after my hols!! :-D thankyou x

·
Registered
28 Posts
I let the WD40 do its thang and it was better, but changed the cable today and she's like a new van A:

Give it a go :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi my mate has the same prob we think its the air mass meter the cost £ 66 it's last thing we can try T:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi guys guess what ive got exactly the same problem 51 plate 1.9 T4,it only seemed to start playing up when the weather turned about 2 months ago,the engine starts as soon as i turn the key ,no smoke and once normal running temp is reached it runs A1 ive changed the air and fuel filters but no difference,again if anyone has a cure id be pleased to hear cheers

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just one more question,a lot have mentioned the throttle cable but at the risk of sounding a little backward ,if the throttle cable works ok when the engine is warm why wouldnt it work when its cold ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Had the same problem again this morning,when i arrived at work i lubricated the throttle cable with wd40 and tonight it seemed to be back as it should be,ive sprayed it again tonight so will look forward to the drive to work in the morning cheers guys for the advice

·
Registered
89 Posts
hi.
snap!.
i have the same van with the same problem.
it was losing power in exactly the same way.
the van has been stood for about three weeks as i have a new one for work.
it needs a few bits for mot so i got in to take it to the garage this morning and .....nothing!
i had my foot flat to the floor and nothing happened for about a minute and then it would very slowly start to pick up and when it got to about 3000 revs it seemed fine but put it in second and it went straight back down again.
i thought it might be a cable issue but the guy at the garage said it sounded like a fuel issue.
i tried the accelerater in the engine bay (i think) but couldnt get it to move so i dont know if i was looking at the wrong thing.
as you might have guessed im not a mechanic so any help would be appreciated.
cheers guys

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi everyone!!!

just got back from holiday!! The 20miles drive home from the airport parking was painfully slow!! The worst its ever been!! So I ordered a new throttle cable from VW (£48) and fitted it this morning....

Its fixed!!!!!! A:

Its now super responsive!! I'm actually over revving it by accident as I am not used to so much power!!!

Best £48 I have spent!!! and took 10mins to fit!!

So thanks for all the input!! It feels like a 'new van'!!!!

WooHoo!!! T:

·
Registered
89 Posts
hi again
garage rang today and it was the throttle cable which had snapped apparently.
also he said the cat was blowing.
all in all im quite happy as one guy i spoke to about the power loss "diagnosed" it as the injector pump without even looking at the van. dick.
looks like i might be able to afford a rock and roll bed after all
cheers guys

1 - 17 of 17 Posts