VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first t4 went caput after two weeks of ownership. Lots of smoke and grinding noises - sounded expensive!

Local garage came and picked it up. Told that the bolt that connects the diesel pump to the engine had come off managed to strip (but not break) the cambelt. Weird problem but anyway cambelt replaced.

Just had another call this morning and apparently it's now leaking diesel and whilst will start, won't stay turned over.

My question is, the garage want to replace the whole pump at about £700 quid. This seems pretty drastic. Any thoughts?

All advice massively appreciated

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just to add to the above. Mechanic said that the seal could be replaced but that as the pump was loose it probably has taken knock and damaged the bushes, hence whole pump needs replacing. Could bushes not be replaced also? Cheers :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No response but thought I'd provide an update. After a lot more forum reading I've asked the garage to try replacing the bush in the fuel filter. They said there was a couple of mill play side to side in the spindle and therefore simply replacing the seals probably wouldn't solve the problem.

I ordered the following bosch parts for my 1997 t4 1.9td based on the excellent tech guide in the forums:

bush 1 460 324 333
top cover seal 1 461 015 302
o ring x 2 1 460 210 008

I also got the parts for the spindle that screws into the bush as this only cost a few pounds more. Total cost for everything was £24 with another fiver on top for next day delivery. Will post spindle part numbers for this when get the stuff tomorrow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
threaded spindle 1 463 402 423

This spindle screws into the metal bush, which is a hollow cylindrical bit of metal no more than a couple of inches long. There are however some additional bits and pieces that go on this spindle to make it a complete unit. I got all these bits, except for a metal washer that they didn't have in stock. This will get taken from the old spindle. Probably will just need the bush and seals but for info:

spacer 1 460 410 302
hex nut 1 463 315 306
rubber seal 1 460 210 353
metal washer not available

Everything including the bush and other seals came to £23.78. Purchased from TT Automotive in Leicester who were really helpful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey I'm in the same boat, keep us updated on how it all pans out please, any photos?
Been on hold from TT automotive for about 5 mins now...
Cheers JAson

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Jason.

PMd ya. This didn't fix for me so had to have the pump reconditioned by dieselbob - 300 sheets inc vat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts