VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi have just ordered a rear camera off e bay to connect up to a meos head unit ,I am a bit confused looking at the wiring diagram for the head unit , there is an orange reverse control cable shown coming from the iso loom it is described as active high input. being totally ignorant of these kind of systems would appreciate some advice on what this orange lead is for and where it connects to

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,705 Posts
Hi mate,

I think you can get away with just connecting it to an earth. Not quite legal I know.
But thats' the way I'm going to do it, as I've got a bulkhead, so will be using monitor as rear view mirror.
I think the wire your talking about, is designed to connect to your reversing light circuit, so when you engage reverse, the monitor will come on.

Hope that helps.

TURK.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that what is confusing me is the fact that it states it is active high input surely that wouldnt be an earth wire? also does that mean that without that the screen doesnt open up?

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
the screen will open but u wont be able to watch DVD on it until that wire is earthed i have a rip speed and had to do that so my rear camera would work . u can run a earth to the side of the fuse box there is a big earthing point there with spade clips going round it
i used my rear screen heater switch to power my rear camera so i can turn it on or off from the switch , i wont need to clear the screen now i have camera so just wired it in from there easy job
then ran the video cable in the roof and over to the monitor

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Robdalej,

There is some confusing information in these posts,

Active High means a +12v Trigger.

The reversing wire needs to be connected to the +12v feed to your reversing light. NOT EARTH, so it switiches it to camera input when you put the van in reverse.

IF your head unit has a parking brake/hand brake wire, then this goes to earth, ONLY if you want to watch DVD's on the move, it should not affect the reversing camera input.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Robdalej,

There is some confusing information in these posts,

Active High means a +12v Trigger.

The reversing wire needs to be connected to the +12v feed to your reversing light. NOT EARTH, so it switiches it to camera input when you put the van in reverse.

IF your head unit has a parking brake/hand brake wire, then this goes to earth, ONLY if you want to watch DVD's on the move, it should not affect the reversing camera input.
thanks for that, thats what was confusing me, i already have the brake switch connected to earth and the dvd wrks fine. next question any idea where i would pick up the feed to the reversing light , presumably it would need to be at the fuse box?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
thanks for that, thats what was confusing me, i already have the brake switch connected to earth and the dvd wrks fine. next question any idea where i would pick up the feed to the reversing light , presumably it would need to be at the fuse box?
Pick up the reverse light feed on one of the rear lights to supply +12v to the reversing camera, use the chassis as the negative/earth as you may pick up a phantom earth in the lamp loom.

If you look at your camera cable, it will have a phono lead that goes to the head unit, chances are it's got a wire as well (nearly all camera's I have fitted have it), that wire will go to your reverse input on the head unit to automatically switch it over, if it doesn't just run a wire down there. T:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts