VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First post but been reading the forum for a while.

I inherited my dads ‘97 T4 800 special last year when he passed away.

I’ve already spent over £3k getting it on the road as it was sat rotting in a yard for a couple of years. Me and my dad had been planning to do it up and convert it.

I’ve got about £5k saved up to make it look nice and start the conversation.

Recently though I’ve been thinking is it worth spending this money on it if it might just end up dying in a couple of years and I don’t know whether the money would be better spent on a newer t5 and if I sold this van I could then afford to get something pretty decent.

I keep changing my mind as it’s got a lot of sentimental value but I don’t want to waste a load of money. It’s got an advisory for corrosion which my garage reckons is nothing to worry about but will need bits of welding every couple of years.

Will that have much effect on the value if I sell it?

It’s got 160k miles on the clock, bodywork needs some attention but I’ve seen worse. A few little issues such as fuel gauge doesn’t work and side door only locks from the inside.

I’m just after some advice really, it’s taken me ages to save this money up and I’m at the stage I want something more but can’t decide whether to do this van up or cut my losses and get a t5.

Sorry to be vague but any snippets of advice much appreciated.

Cheers

Mag

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Hi Mag, welcome aboard. T:

That is quite the decision, my opinion would be thus...

Any T model could be fraught with issues regardless of age, granted a younger model would, you'd hope have less, but you really never know. Your T4 has a huge amount of sentimental value, I think I'd find it hard to part with it and would slowly renovate and convert it. It'll be an emotional journey but ultimately rewarding.

You can take your time so not to burn through your savings, not to mention tap into this forum's wealth of knowledge to get help and advice on how to go about each task, and not shell out on unneeded bills. You may even find people local to you that will offer their services for less than main street garages.

I'd follow my heart over head in this case.

Hope this helps

Pete

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,524 Posts
After doing some "conversion work" for someone with a 2005 T5, I'll stick with my 2000 T4.
Wouldn't swap her even with some money paid to me!
Less rust (and less places for it to form on the T4....although "less places" may be an overstatement!)

The T4 is also getting towards the "cult following" of the old T3 too. :D

What the hell's a T3-2?!?!!??!

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Tough choice you've got there, as a t4 owner I would say in the long run bodywork is going to cost you unless you have the skills to do it yourself, their getting on now and keeping them going becomes a labour of love/expensive game. Is that the sort of thing you want to get into or are you looking for something newer that requires less maintenance? If so go for a t5, I would say just go with what you really want, your old man would want you to have whatever makes you happy, at the end of the day material objects are material objects,it's the memories that countT:T:

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Don't put any more money into it fella, worst engine, worst year:

The 1.9TD ABL is drastically underpowered (even when the van is empty, let alone converted into a camper) & has real reliability concerns hence the huge amount that have had a 1.9tdi engine transplant; the 96 - 97 vans also have a tendency to rust like the *ucking Titanic (everywhere) all T4s rust but for some reason the mid 90s vans are awful.

Cut your losses & get shot - it's just an old van.

£2-2.5K now buys a decent 2000 onwards 2.5tdi T4: look at lots, avoid tarted up / stickered $hite ( 'Vanimal' etc), there's good unmolested ones out there for sensible money now that the bubble has burst.

You probably didn't want to hear this but you can't compromise with the truth :ILU:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts