VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully, I will have the van fully insulted and ready to carpet this week.

I need some advice on the basic techniques please. (I have used the search facility but not found the answers I need sorry)

I will be looking to carpet the metal work and have removeable, carpetted panels (6mm ply?)

I will be using the megavanmats stretchy carpet.

When it comes to doing the long side of the van, is it best to do it all from one length of carpet, or to make seperate strips for the B.C and D post?

If you use seperate strips, how easy is it to hide the joins?

Gonna be a bit of a challenge cos the original ply panels were an appalling fit so starting from scratch.

Only thing that I cant quite figure out, is the panel below the window on the long side.
Whan you look at the bare metalwork, the ply panel below the window seems to be recesssed back from the rear ply panel.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
just finished doing mine with the help of conspiracy did it all in long lenths of carpet per side, you do get a bit more waste but less joins has to be better.
1 remove rubber door seals so you can carpet up to the edge of the metal then replace rubber for a tidy finish
2 mask up windows with news paper so you can get happy with the spray glue and cover any holes in the metal with duck tape
3 remove plastic seat belt trim and headlining and plastics around rear doors inc door catches
4 I used a lenth of carpat 280cm long for the long side with enough for a decent overhang at the rear to allow you to bend and fit it around the rear lights
5 we started by spraying glue along the whole top half of the van to just under the window and sprayed the carpet as well allowing it to go tacky
6 hold carpet up and put in place with a 20cm over hang at the top where the headlining is, smooth down, if its not right just peel off and start again
7 my carpet was not that plyable so had to work it with the blunt end of the stanley knife to get it to mould around the window frame then trimed the excess out of the window be carefull not to trim to much off
8 we sprayed the pillar just behind the drivers seat with glue and worked the carpet to fit then did the same to the middle pillar and used the carpet trimmed off between the two pillars to cover the wheel arch
9 the rear bit around the door and lights is tricky you just have to try and work the carpet so it fits but you should have a feel for how it works by now.trim out excess around wheel arch and along the rear door for a neat finish.
10 then we did the same along the shorter side dehind sliding door allowing for a good overhang at the rear, working from top to bottom
11 to cover the top rear bit of metal just cut a piece to over lap what you have stuck down, stick it down then cut through both bits to get a clean join
12 then its the wheel arches bit of a pig but you just have to work the carpet again till it fits you will sus it out as you have a go.
13 then cover panel and replace i used dry wall screws to fit the panels back on them and rubber seals

thats how i did it, i thought it would be alot harder than it was you just have to give it a go and you kind of get a feel for how the carpet work as you get going
i did use the hook type stanley blades and they made it alot easyer to trim the carpet and get a neat cut
just take your time and be careful when cutting the carpet not to cut off to much around windows ect
hope this helps

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
^^ WHS...

Also I rounded the end of a foot long stick to 2 different profiles to help in getting the carpet into tricky corners...

...the carpet dulls the blades very quickly so keep a stack handy....don't get me wrong they are still bloody sharp, but you see when the blade starts to 'bog' down in the carpet.

With regard to the panels. Someone told me it's possible to get 10 x 5' ply and cut the whole panelling from a single sheet. Didn't do it myself but wish I had...judging the amount of gap between the 2 joining panels was a pain...you need about 6mm to accommodate the later carpet.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Its one of those jobs that looks quite deceptive. It good be very easy, or very, VERY, difficult.
Im an ex-cabinet maker by trade so the woodworking side of things doesnt bother me. I juts dont want to end up wasting £100 of carpet.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Bud...I drive a desk for a living and me and her indoors made a pretty reasonable job of ours (If I do say so meself!) n'other tip is to have your pilot holes drilled already in the ply and carpet...then find the hole with a panel pin and slic the carpet a little. Screw the panel up and then pat the carpet back down....screws are hidden and the job looks slick.

·
Registered
27 Posts
...Have a look at Tidytransporters website. He also posted something somewhere on here a few weeks back showing how he did it. Made a really good job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts