VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

I have a lovely black T4 which is just turning 20 yrs old, and the time has come for her to get a new paint job. There are a few rust patches on the wheel arches, and some sod just dented the passenger door in a car park and did a runner!

Can anyone recommend anywhere to get her prepped and re-sprayed? I live in London, but as that is probably the most expensive place ever, I am willing to travel to leave her with someone to save money. I don't have a huge budget, but want a good job done.

Assuming that vinyl wrapping is a no-no?

Thanks for any advice and recommendations you have! T:

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Big place London...roughly whereabouts? I'm just about to go see a place out in Kent called D&A Customs that has had decent recommendations. I live in SE London though, so fairly accessible for me.

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Vinyl wrapping doesn't get rid of the dents and I would imagine create a nice environment for rust to carry on multiplying.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hiya,

I'm in Tottenham, but definately willing to travel to find the right place and price! Any idea what it might cost?

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I'm visiting a few places prior to getting it sorted. They'll all say (rightly so) that they'll want to see the van before they offer a price. One place I've spoken to back in Somerset has said a completely rough guide price for them is £2000 for just outside paint on a straight bus. £4000 for full colour change panels off, doors off, glass out etc. (again on a straight bus). But that's also dependent on paint, finish etc.

It all depends on the place and the prep. If yours has a bit of rust to sort and some dents that'll add money. But if you're not changing the colour of the bus and can just have the exterior painted then that'll save some.

Also remember that there might be other bits that require sorting that you've not spotted, that's why it's good to take it to a few places to talk to them and get an idea of the work they think needs doing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys - you're totally right, I need to go to a couple of places to get some quotes, and it's always great to go somewhere on a recommendation too! I'll check out the place in Chelmsford, and my family are in Somerset so I'd definately be up for getting any hints on anywhere to go down that way too!

I'm hoping there's no hidden 'suprises' when they look it over! I guess it's cheaper to stay with black too.

The pop top is fibreglass - can most places paint that too? The owner before me seems to have tried to paint it with a brush (!) so it looks awful! Maybe I should get the top vinyl wrapped?

*<:)>

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
The place Ill be visiting in Somerset is Victory Restos in Yatton. I've heard them mentioned and their work looks good, not actually had anything worked on there so can't recommend personally! Worth checking out though. I'll be heading to see them in the New Year.

Fibreglass pop tops are often gel coated I think? In which case you can sometimes wax and polish them back to life. Otherwise the body shop will know what to do. Realistically someone with more knowledge than me will hopefully comment on pop top roofs, I've no idea!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Hi. I know a guy in Basildon Essex that is very good. He will tend. to bits that need sorting before making a start.As said he will need to see van before giving any quotes.I need to take mine to him as I got some bits to be sorted
Good luck

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hi Guys I don't want to seem negative BUT.. I was recommended to a spray shop in Doncaster (Prestige panel & paint ) Iam willing to mention them as every time I look at my van I feel gutted. I went regular to see the progress & took photos ( thank god for the court case ) they said it would take 4 weeks so I gave them 6 weeks cos I wanted a good job. 8 weeks after still in primer requiring body work. [ at this point I was advised to pull the van out as we had fallen out several times & told they would not do a good job ] How I wish I had.

3 MONTHS after I got it back,they had it back another twice= 4 months now it looks like a patch work quilt,6 weeks after ( no rain etc ) we have rust coming through :eek:

I wont bore you with how bad it looks but a word of advice if you aren't happy pull it out , don't accept fob offs until you are 100%

I may even post pics at a later date.

PLEASE BE AWARE GUYS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts