VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening,

Managed to drive into a concrete pillar a few weeks back, and put a decent sized dent in the long panel, drivers side, just behind the cab door. Its probably about 1ft x 2.4ft in size.

Obviously the paints flaked off where the panels been pushed in. I can't afford to get it sorted at the minute properly, and planning to get it repaired along with the rest of the bodywork next year.

Until then however, I want to try and prevent any rust taking hold on the panel.

any suggestions or ideas about what would be the best way to attack it?

thinking along the lines of taking off loose paint around the area, giving it a key, then priming?

·
Registered
97 Posts
If It's only a temporary repair your after just remove the flakey paint go to your local car paint suppliers and get a red touch pot of paint and just paint the rough bits it will look better than primer and primer is porous and will let water through anyway hope this helps

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
If It's only a temporary repair your after just remove the flakey paint go to your local car paint suppliers and get a red touch pot of paint and just paint the rough bits it will look better than primer and primer is porous and will let water through anyway hope this helps
dito
never leave it in primer it will rust

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
dito
never leave it in primer it will rust
what about red oxide paint? is that porous??

am in the middle of a temp repair to my wheel arches.... rust inhibitor(sp?) then covered with red oxide - would it be best to paint that?.... was going to wait until i did all the arches before slapping a coat of paint on

many thanks

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
ps sorry for the thread hi-jack - good luck with your repair sheep... one of those things that happen that could've done with not happening :(

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
the biggest problem with red oxide is getting other paint to stick properly on top. its better than leaving it untreated but spray over with a rattle can to seal it off until you can get it sorted properly.
get the rust off treat with rust treatment (acid) and etch prime (upol)and top coat to seal

1 - 13 of 13 Posts