VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening folks,
been a lurker for a while but have had my beloved T2 so no need to post! T2 has now gone and the
time has come now to buy a T5 for expanding family. Basically we would like something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120817137993? ... 1423.l2649

Something we can grow into with more small creatures, room for more climbing, camping kit and more, stick a roof rack on for the surfboards and kayaks and it will be used for my daily drive with my daughter then subesquent other kids.

Just after some advice on engine size, running/insurance costs etc etc, the usual malarkey. Are the 1.9TDi's pants and should be be looking for the classic 2.5? As you can gather, haven't a clue!!

If someone can give me some advice, would be great. Budget probably about 14/15k, would ideally be after something with under 50,000 on the clock, 1 owner, FSH, and 58 ish plate. Needs to have 7 or 9 seats so I'm guessing a LWB would be the best.

I appreciate this is probably a daily asked question but, have looked around and tests and reviews I find are different from user use and advice.

Thanks in advance folks, appreciate it.
Atholl

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
well the ebay link you have put on sounds ok to me,but it depends how many times its gonna be loaded with peeps and luggage etc,

because i have the 1.9 that has been remapped which makes it a lot better to drive,but when were loaded with all 5 of us and camping gear to boot,it can make it feel a little under powered,but for the other 48-50 weeks of the year its suits and is great,

so it all depends on what you can live with.

hope that helps a little.*<:)>*<:)>

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi you need to think about passenger seats vs luggage space. 9 seats means 3 rows means less room for tents and boards.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
1.9TDi ins't a bad motor. The 84bhp may be a little under powered if you have 9 seats! Look for the 102/104bhp ones (as the ebay one). You can always remap this up to 130bhp ish if you find it a bit lacking. Other than that you're onto the 2.5TDi.

There is plus and minus for both engines depending on who you listen to. Do a search for more info.

If you've got space to keep a LWB at your house, then go for it. Loads more room (mine had to fit in a garage so SWB).

I too have come from a T2 back in October. Not looked back since.

My 102bhp does about 40mpg if you don't boot it. Road tax is less on a van that a caravelle/multivan (at least that's my understanding). Mines £240/year (i think) instead of £400 for a caravelle (someone confirm this for me please).

Insurance, well mines in a garage on limited milage for £320 year.

As for servicing, it's all on fixed pricing from VW if you decide on Main Dealers so check you local VW web site for deals and prices.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
the 84ps and 102ps model is exactly the same engine,both remap to same amount.

so dont discard an 84 just because of that.T:

·
Registered
96 Posts
i have a swb 102 1.9 and have a lot of heavy work in the back and its more than fine,when its not loaded its gets along well,before i got it thought about a remap now im not botherd

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Evening folks,
thanks for all the advice, really appreciated and thanks for taking time to reply.

Chatting to the other half, as you do!, it would seem that she likes the look of the executive caravelles which seem to tick all her boxes for more comfort and flexibility which to be fair is a good point as she will also drive it. So it looks like a change in plan...

Budget has gone up to about 15-16k and having had a good look around, a decent one with relatively low mileage, up to about 80k, seems easy enough to find.

The only sticking point with me will be the room behind the rear set of seats for a double pram and a few bags. Unfortunately I'm not able to get out and about to have a look at one for a week or so which is a buggerance as I'm itching to get back into the VW market! Also, are you able to move the seats along on the sliders to make the space in the rear a bit bigger?

This is the sort of thing the long haired general desires..

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/uv....co.uk/dealers/12219/12219&largeId=1882134774

This is just an example but its the sort of thing that would tick the boxes. I also think we would go for the 2.5 engine. She, Anna, also likes this sort of stylee:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif.../postcode/po130ea/radius/200/page/5?logcode=p

So what do you reckon folks? I think in hindsight the SWB would be better all round as long as it has 5 seats which the execs seem to have and I may be wrong, but aren't they group 15 insurance?

Sorry again for all the questions, it is frustrating not being able to get my hands on one for a look but any other tips and advice would be greatly received.

Cheers, Atholl

·
Premium Member
1,073 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts