VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to change the belt on my 2.5 tdi myself and have been checking on the special tools needed.I was going to hire a compressor and gun to get the crank bolt loosened,but I have just hired a battery version to try and shift rear caliper carrier bolts and it was a waste of time,
The various mechanics I spoke to said it is all about the type of gun and compressor,can anyone tell me for sure what I would need.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
For removal you need the damper locking tool (cheap now on Ebay), a 3/4 drive socket set, lump of scaffold pole ~ windy gun not required.

Replace the bolt & washer, tighten with 3/4 drive torque wrench (2.5tdi: 160nm + 180 degrees) :ILU:

ps. the torque wrench is the critical tool here T:

·
Registered
435 Posts
You need a breaker bar of at least 0.5m.

To loosen you can brace the bar against the ground and use the starter motor - remove ecu relay (109?) if you're concerned about the van starting.

To tighten to eyeball popping 200Nm +90deg (or is it 180deg?) you need a flywheel hold tool:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-3203-Flywheel-Holding-Tool/dp/B0039UNWCG
(or a big flat blade screw driver held in-place by a helper)

And some strong legs!

·
Registered
435 Posts
To add all my stuff is 1/2".

What hobbyhorse suggests is the VW method, mine is the cheapo method. Either will work, but most would feel more conforatble using the VW tooling

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks.Thats just the sort of info I need.Can it be done off regular axle stands-ie is the height important to give you the room to swing the bar?
Just looked at the flywheel holding tool,do you drop it through the inspection opening?
Another question-sorry-the damper locking tool on ebay-only ones I see are from usa,or one for later audi/vw engines -it has pions sticking out which I don't think is right?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Easiest way is to get a 3/4 extension to bring your breaker bar and torqued wrench outside of the wing then you have all the movement you want. To hold against the damper pulley extend your breaker bar so someone can stand on it out the front of the van when undoing it. And when doing it up it will hold against the floor

·
Registered
403 Posts
The holding tool you need is the same as for 2.4d I think the part number is 3192. Comes with the shims and cam shaft locking plate. I got mine from a place called debbies discount tool. Sorry don't know what you mean by inspection opening. You just need to remove drivers side wheel. Have you read the how to on the forum?

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks Slam.Have read the "how to" but I reckon my 5 cylinder engine anatomy is seriously flawed! Lots more help there cheers.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Just looked at the flywheel holding tool,do you drop it through the inspection opening?
Are you referring to the hole in the top of the gearbox under the rubber bung where you can see the flywheel?
If so, the answer is no.

Here's a picture of my setup shown in the tightening position. To undo the jack is positioned on the LHS of the pulley.
As you can see you can do the job on regular axle stands.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Jets.I 'm not sure how the flywheel ring gear tooth holder is used,must be missing a trick there,many thanks for reminding me of the picIi think I'll go for the holding tool,seems a safer bet.Thought I could hire a big torque wrench,seems not-so far anyway.
Now for the C spanner.Just want a clear idea of the exact tools needed before I start.Appreciate all the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts