VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies as this has probably been done to death already.......

Got my first VW, came with 16" steels which obviously were fine, but as a bloke we have to play around with these things don't we.....

Have bought a set of 18" alloys fitted with 255/55/18 General Grabber (AT's I think). Have noticed a lot more road noise, loss of performance (my T5 is a 102ps SWB) and they obviously need balancing as at 40mph they make the steering wheel wobble but this clears above and below this speed.

Have attached pic of them fitted:

Would like to ID the wheels if possible and are looking for a suitable tyre size with regard to:

1. Keeping circumference as close as possible to original
2. Maintaining comfort and not having to dodge every pothole in Kent
3. MPG (this has dropped already since fitting these!)

The main thing is that whilst the truck may look cool. the whole point of a VW is to drive like a VW; now it drives like my Defender...

Sorry again if this is covered elsewhere, have hunted high and low and cannot find a good answer; if anyone needs any plumbing and heating advice in return, I've been doing this for 19 years now!

Richard

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have GG fitted to mine. You will get a slight drop in MPG and they will be slightly noisier especially if its a bare panel van inside.

I don't immediately recognise the alloys and I'm a car dealer. They should be stamped on the back by the manufacturer. Have you checked they have the right PCD etc for a VW. Are they fit for the weight of the vehicle? If you bought the tyres second hand, they could be worn unevenly/out of shape etc. Wip one of them off and check the inside of the wheel from the back for this info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Motorpromotor, had a look on the back and ID'd them as Vauxhall Insignia alloys. How do I decipher the rear of the alloy to get load rating? Am have the wheels checked for balance etc tomorrow and selling the tyres off

·
Registered
485 Posts
They're almost certainly not high enough load rated for a T5. Does it not say the load rating (in kgs) on the back of the wheel? You also need to know the axle load rating for your van. That depends on whether you have a T26, T28, T30 or T32.
Of course they're the right PCD... They're on the van aren't they? :*
Assuming the wheels aren't the correct loading, you'll need to think about getting some new wheels and can then consider your wheel/tyre combo. Whilst you're about it, you need to consider whether you're going to lower the van. Lots to factor in. I'd spend some time researching this forum. Lots of combinations have been tried and tested.
Is your plan to stick so the Grabbers you already have? If so, then you just need to find some suitable wheels to match.
You will obviously find that AT tyres are noisier than road focused tyres. And the mpg will suffer. I have BFGoodrich ATs which whine a bit compared to standard tyres, but I wouldn't say it's overbearing. Mind you, I only fitted them today and have only done a couple of miles at motorway speeds. However, it's nothing the radio wouldn't drown out.

It you want to compare your rolling radius to that of a standard tyre, this tyre calculator is useful. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Stock size is 215/65/16 but I think VW also sold 205/65/16 as a stock size too depending on the model of your van. Use the tyre calculator to compare other size tyres with the stock ones. Your Grabbers are 7.6% larger than standard tyres.

You also need to bear in mind that your obviously need load rated tyres as well as wheels. There's a load rating on the tyre sidewall (a number around 100). Put that into google to find the weight per kg. Because there are two tyres per axle, you need to make sure that your wheel rating and your tyre rating is at least half your max axle load (which depends on the model of up an you have).

If you want the most suitable tyre in terms of handling, ride, pothole resilience then obviously one of the sizes VW sold has standard (perhaps the 17" or 18" standard sizes) would be a sensible choice. My 19s were fine and gave good handling, but wore quickly and were expensive. My BFGs should provide good grip in muddy fields, be pretty resilient to potholes, and are comfy, but the handiling is a bit jelly-like. There are so many options, and for most people, aesthetics are something of a priority I guess. Choose the right style of wheel/tyre for your ride height. There's little worse than seeing a blingy alloy on a stock height van... It just doesn't work. It sounds to me as if you might like the 18" sportline wheels but they are very expensive, and work better on a slightly lowered van.

Good luck,
Pm me if you want more help.
Rich

·
Registered
485 Posts
By the way... You don't balance the wheel on its own. You balance the wheel and tyre once they are together. If you are definitely selling the tyres don't bother with the balancing until you get new tyres. But as I said, I'm certain the load rating of insignia wheels won't be high enough anyway (just a hunch... I don't know for absolute certain).
Rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts