VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

new member here. what a great site! lots of info but i haven't been able to find an answer to my dilemma. i'm from the u.s. but living in the nl for at least a year. i'd like to buy a t4 syncro camper and use it in europe while we're here then have it completely overhauled (esp transmission) and import it to the u.s. i'm looking at vehicles '93 and newer so i can meet the 25 year mandate for bringing vehicles to the u.s. a few questions:

what do you think of my plan?
can you recommend a good shop to work on it?
are parts for t4 syncros (esp trans, viscous coupler) available in the uk or elsewhere in europe?
where can i find a repair manual and list of specs for a '93 manual van?
how important is a diff lock if i'm not off road much?
petrol vs diesel 2.4? (we have parts for the petrol version in the u.s.)
other thoughts?

thanks in advance,T:

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,128 Posts
Why a syncro?
Are you expecting to drive over many "boulders"? LOL:

"Normal" transmissions work very well with the correct tyres fitted.
In Norway, there are loads of T4s around, but very few syncros.....we just change tyres in winter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why a syncro?
Are you expecting to drive over many "boulders"? LOL:

"Normal" transmissions work very well with the correct tyres fitted.
In Norway, there are loads of T4s around, but very few syncros.....we just change tyres in winter.
well i am from boulder, colorado. ; )

seriously we will use it to camp in the winter while skiing so driving in snowy mountainous conditions.

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,128 Posts
well i am from boulder, colorado. ; )

seriously we will use it to camp in the winter while skiing so driving in snowy mountainous conditions.
Is the snow really worse than in Norway?
Are you allowed studded tyres (just changed the wifes Smart ForTwo to studded tyres, as she has to work nights, and it's -4C here overnight!)

When they "plough" the roads here, they always leave 2" of snow for "grip"..........

Picture below is from June one year when my mother came to visit, and we took her for a trip to the mountains;

1 metre of snow overnight is NOT an exception....just only happens once every couple of years.

Dig out the drive with a shovel, and with the correct tyres, no problems.

My wife drives 30km each day to work in a Smart ForTwo, and hasn't missed a day off work in the last 8 years....STUDDED TYRES!

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Thanks guysT: I'm always happy to help if I can. (FWIW, I'm in Castle Pines, Co about 50miles from Boulder)

To import a van to the USA it must be OLDER than 25 years! So at this moment the only T4 you can import would be a 1990-1991, maybe a 1992 by the time you come back.

The 2.4l diesel would never cut it doing the I-70(75mph) climb from Boulder (6,000ft to the passes at 12,000)

Even the 2.5l Petrol is borderline in the slow lane, especially with the added drag of the syncro.

I custom built part of a Westfalia 2.5l petrol syncro conversion for a guy in Boulder already. Sweet vanA: But not cheap. It may save you money to import one if you can find it, but I'd import some crazy oddball or full camper conversion if you are going to do it. The ONLY thing that gives these vans their value here is being a camper.

Alternatively, you can import the parts and have one built stateside from a 1993 van. The box is smaller and there is no regulation on the parts themselves. (Using a non-EPA engine is a different story. You can import it but can't legally use it)

I've successfully imported a few syncro conversions and TDI swap parts. I'd love to import more of the cool stuff you guys in the U.K. getI: (And I still need to finish my own van:*)

If you want to see some of the vans I've done here in the USA the best spot to look is on my Instagram feed "CaveVan". https://www.instagram.com/cavevan/

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you haven't already done this and still need any tips, I recently (Feb 2018) inported a T4 syncro from France to Canada. the procedures and costs I expect will be similar to the US.
I have errrhhh, learned a few things in the past 8 months.
let me know if I can help.

Peter
Toronto

1 - 9 of 9 Posts