VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a T5 converted to a camper in Essex. 85 ah Leisure Battery connected to run a Fridge, TV/DVD, Spotlights x6, Waterpump. Is this going to work and how long will it last. Cant use EHU as all items are wired to the battery. Any advice would be Great, Cheers K.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Just had a T5 converted to a camper in Essex. 85 ah Leisure Battery connected to run a Fridge, TV/DVD, Spotlights x6, Waterpump. Is this going to work and how long will it last. Cant use EHU as all items are wired to the battery. Any advice would be Great, Cheers K.
To work out if your 85AH is enough, you need to check out what the wattage is for all your items and then how long you are likely to use them for over 24 hours.

ie.

DVD/TV 28 Watts and you use it for 2 hours,

28 x 2 = 56 Watt Hours, divide by 12 to give amps = 4.67 ah

Waeco Compressor Fridge = 48 Watts * 5 hours (20% Average Compressor running time over 24hours at 25 degrees C)

48 * 5 = 250 WH / 12 = 20 AH

Waterpump 60 Watts and you use it for 15 minutes a day

60 x 0.25 = 15 WH / 12 = 1.25 ah

LCD Spots 2.5 Watts * 6 for 3 hours

2.5*6*3= 45 WH / 12 = 3.75 AH

Add them all together 20 + 4.67 + 1.25 + 3.75 = 29.67 AH

Normal rule of thumb is only run your leisure down to 50% if you want it to last.

85 / 2 = 42.5AH

42.5 / 29.67 = 1.4 days before recharge

So you should really recharge your battery after about a day and a halves camping. (The calculation is best case just to give you an idea and in reality you'll have a bit less power as it depends on the temp of the battery, how completely you can charge the battery etc. etc. )

I presume EHU means Electric Hookup, you can still use EHU and fit a battery charger. Something like theseThese type of chargers can be left on whilst you are using the 12volt appliances, if you are taking less current then chargers rating then all the power will come from the charger and the bit left will still go into your battery.

To work out what charger to go for add up the wattage of your items

28 + 48 + 60 + 15 = 151 Watts / 12 = 12.5 Amps

So in the best case you should probably go for a 10 / 20 amp but because 5 Amps are for the pump which you don't use much you'll get away with a 6amp and still put charge into your battery.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that is fantastic advice, thank you so much. It is hard to get my head around it all. So presumably seen as this is a second battery, on a splilt charge, after a day and half I need to run the van for 20 minutes to recharge and that should be enough to survive off the battery. I take it that running the van whilst stationary will be ok too. If the battery runs completely flat does this destroy the battery?

Thanks again for your advice!
k

·
Registered
747 Posts
Wow that is fantastic advice, thank you so much. It is hard to get my head around it all. So presumably seen as this is a second battery, on a splilt charge, after a day and half I need to run the van for 20 minutes to recharge and that should be enough to survive off the battery. I take it that running the van whilst stationary will be ok too. If the battery runs completely flat does this destroy the battery?

Thanks again for your advice!
k
Not exactly, the calculation I gave was based on things I have or had in my van, I don't know exactly what you've got in your van? It was to show you how to work it out, so you need to find out what wattage all of your items are, decide how long you'll use them each day on average then do the same sort of calc.

If you run the battery completely flat it could completely knacker it or shorten its lifespan.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm grateful to you! I have been searching the internet trying to get answers! I was thinking that I would have been better off with a 110ah battery.

It gives me a good guide and thats better than nothing. Only testing this kit out will I really know how it performs, but I didnt want to be on day 1 evening with no power and everything in the fridge going off!

K

·
Registered
747 Posts
Well I'm grateful to you! I have been searching the internet trying to get answers! I was thinking that I would have been better off with a 110ah battery.

It gives me a good guide and thats better than nothing. Only testing this kit out will I really know how it performs, but I didnt want to be on day 1 evening with no power and everything in the fridge going off!

K

Don't rely on these figures, you really do need to get the wattage of the items your going to use. For instance do you know if its a compressor fridge you have as thats what I've done the calc with?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts