VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

I've been looking for a T4 for a little while (specifically a 2.5TDi SWB 4 birth, ideally low-ish mileage, FSH and Reimo roof not requiring major work) that I can take camping this summer. I have come across one on eBay and the price seems a little on the high side, though does have decent service history, interior etc and looks in good condition. I wonder if the asking price is about right, and given that this is a really distinctive van, if anyone has any prior knowledge/ or can help reassure me it isn't any kind of scam! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272622592986?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITb

Going to view it this eve, so any hints/tips on what to look for (I have downloaded a few T4 buying guides) would be hugely appreciated : )

Thanks

Cherryade x

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Its nice but big money for a 14 year old vehicle..

Ask what the VED is as 2001 was when it all changed. It is 235 grams of CO2 which is likely to put it in VED Band L ..can someome confirm this, as I am not sure.. https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/rates-for-cars-registered-on-or-after-1-march-2001

If you can go and see it, it is unlikely to be a scam unless it has been stolen...Also, scammers tend to put low prices for really nice vehicles..

Its got some advisories on its MOT
Registration number: SN03GJY

Vehicle make
VOLKSWAGEN
Vehicle model
CARAVELLE
Date first used
3 April 2003
Fuel type
Diesel
Colour
Silver

MOT history of this vehicle
Test date
24 February 2017
Expiry date
23 February 2018
Test Result
Pass
Odometer reading
134,170 miles
MOT test number
8244 2160 9828
Advisory notice item(s)

brake pad warning illuminated
Offside Front Windscreen has damage to an area less than a 10mm circle within zone 'A' (8.3.1a)
Central Front Windscreen has damage to an area less than a 40mm circle outside zone 'A' (8.3.1d)
Offside Front front brake fluctuating, but not excessively (3.7.B.3)
Nearside Rear Direction indicator slightly discoloured (1.4.A.2f)
Offside Rear Direction indicator slightly discoloured (1.4.A.2f)
Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
under shields fitted obscuring testers view

Vehicle details
Vehicle make
VOLKSWAGEN
Date of first registration
April 2003
Year of manufacture
Cylinder capacity (cc)
2461 cc
CO₂Emissions
235 g/km
Fuel type
DIESEL
Export marker
No
Vehicle status
Tax not due
Vehicle colour
SILVER
Vehicle type approval
M1
Wheelplan
2 AXLE RIGID BODY
Revenue weight
Not available
Calculating the cost of vehicle tax
You can use the information above to work out the cost of taxing this vehicle using the vehicle-tax-rate-tables or rates-of-vehicle-tax-v149 or enter the V5C reference number on the previous page.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/rates-for-cars-registered-on-or-after-1-march-2001

·
Banned
10,253 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for all your help! They didn't mention that work was needed, would rather know up front so I can factor it in! I will keep looking, and on the sale boards on here as I'd rather buy from a trustworthy source!

I'm not after 'bling' but something reliable, cozy and suited to family camping : )

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep I will check out the VED thanks - just a little wary as the ad doesn't mention any work needed... just rings a few alarm bells like what else might be hidden?!

Maybe I'm just too cautious/cynical it's just such a massive investment and for my 5 yr old and I, so need it to be ultra reliable ; ) I will go check it out, and carry on hunting too - any other sales suggestions than here, justkampers, gumtree/eBay? Thanks : )

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
There are lots of scams on ebay and gumtree where the vehicle doesn't actually exist, or it belongs to someone else.

So, do not buy one without actually going and seeing it and touching it..

Check out a group on Facebook EBAY VEHICLE SCAM ALERTS

I have a friend who lost £10,400 as the seller said transfer the money, he would deliver it and if it wasn't what she wanted, she could have her money back.. But what actually happened is that he ran off with the money and disappeared, the van belonged to someone else..

·
Banned
10,253 Posts
Here you go. Didn't realise ''twas an auto

Vehicle Details
Manufacturer
Volkswagen
Model
Caravelle Tdi Swb Auto
Colour
Silver
Vehicle Type
Car
Fuel Type
Diesel
Engine Size
2461cc
Brake Horse Power
102 BHP
Extended Details
Road Tax 12 Months
£295
Road Tax 6 Months
£162.25
Registration Date
03 April 2003
Vehicle Age
14 years 0 months
CO2 Output
235 g/km (K)
Manufactured Year

·
Banned
10,253 Posts
Id be avoiding that one chap. Three years of MOT history missing ? There may be a valid reason but for me there's enough vans out there to be bothered with those that are not squeaky clean..

Mileage:
77477 miles
Mileage Notes
The mileage recorded at this MOT is below average for a vehicle of this age. (Average mileage of 126000)
30/03/2017
Fail
Mileage:
77477 miles
Refusal Notices
Offside rear direction indicator not working (1.4.a.2c)
20/07/2016
Pass
Mileage:
76505 miles
Advisory Notices
Non obligatory mirror damaged ()
20/07/2016
Fail
Mileage:
76505 miles
Refusal Notices
Nearside stop lamp not working (1.2.1b)
Nearside windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)
Offside windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)
Advisory Notices
Non obligatory mirror damaged ()
15/03/2013
Pass
Mileage:
54921 miles
15/03/2013
Fail
Mileage:
54907 miles
Refusal Notices
Offside front suspension arm ball joint dust cover excessively damaged so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.4.g.2)
Offside front side repeater incorrect colour (1.4.a.2f)
20/06/2012
Pass
Mileage:
47461 miles
Mileage issue found
14/06/2012
Fail
Mileage:
47726 miles
Mileage issue found
Refusal Notices
Nearside front front passenger door cannot be opened from inside the vehicle (6.2.b.1b)
09/03/2011
Pass
Mileage:
39006 miles
02/03/2010
Pass
Mileage:
32359 miles
05/03/2009
Pass
Mileage:
24351 miles
Advisory Notices
Offside rear tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.e.1)
Nail in offside rear tyre
MOT Mileage Chart
This chart shows you the recently recorded MOT mileages for this vehicle.

Do another check

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys!! There were a few other signs that the van wasn't as well loved as I was looking for, some scrapes, trim coming off, and odd history of being in another country, bits where the conversion wasn't fantastic though it drove well.

I will continue my quest!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.