VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of learning more about T5's with a view to hopefully purchasing one in the next few months. I've been looking at the site for sometime (and excellent it is too) and have picked up some basic information already but maybe someone will be kind enough to fill in some blanks or point to the correct source which i'm sure I have managed to miss here somewhere.

There seems to be a wide range of engine types /codes and a number of pro's and con's for each. I'm afraid my VW diesel product knowledge goes blank after the 1.9 TDI's of a few years ago but i guess there is an evolution of that engine around today ? I also picked up that some T5 specs are classed as commercial vehicles when it comes to MOT's which I guess brings addition differculties for the private owner ??
If someone would be kind enough to give me some pointers on these two areas that would be great.
First post completed :)

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Not really sure what you're asking for, to be honest?

Owning a commercial van as a private individual shouldn't cause problems with MOT, though

·
Registered
228 Posts
There is some info on here about vehicle classifications for MOT. And that potentially does affect where you can take it for an MOT.

i think the variables are the weight : t32 etc, and the type, panel, kombi, window etc.

doing similar research myself :)

The search on here isn't great, but if you google with "t5 forum [something]" you can get the relevant threads come up to read over :)

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Drive,
your post is a little vague if you don't mind me saying :)
Opinions vary about engines and whether or not the 1.9 or 2.5 being the best option.
I wouldn't concern yourself about the different engine codes just decide if you want a 1.9 or a 2.5. Like everything else, the more money you are prepared to dish out the newer and better spec the van is going to be. The engine codes change with time but the early T5's are just as good as the later ones I'm sure.

Perhaps consider the following:

What are you going to use it for?
Fully laden with work gear or fully loaded as a camper you may well appreciate the extra pulling power of a 2.5

What kind of mileage and what ype of roads you are likely to travel?
Regular trips on dual carriageways and motorways may mean that a 2.5 with 6 gears is better suited (lower revs at 70mph)
Constant short trips on A & B Class roads and town driving suggests a 1.9 may well be more suitable and a little better on fuel economy.

In general the T26, T28, and T30 panel vans are all MOT'd in your regular 'car' MOT test centre
The T32 causes a little bit of confusion and not all regular 'car' MOT test centres will do them.
It seems there's an element of luck reading threads on this forum

Personally, I opted for a 1.9 T28 2059 plate that is bottom spec but the youngest van I could afford to buy. Others will choose much higher spec but older for the same outlay.
I've had my 1.9 remapped to 140bhp but its never going to be torquey as a 2.5

T26, T28, T30 & T32 are weight classes. Payload for a T26 is around 600kg, T28 800kg and so on....

Whatever you decide, they are all good vans, just buy wisely and when you get one don't cut corners with the servicing

Just a quick read over what I've just written. Mmm...No, can't see anything in my post to upset the 1.9 camp or the 2.5 camp :cool:
And breath......LOL:LOL:

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
As above good advice there i got a 2.5 TDi T30 SWB on a 06 plate fully loaded camper 120k on the clock 30-35 mpg hope this helps & good luck:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
If I am correct, I think the T32 needs a section 7 MOT which is a commercial MOT, this is not your ordinary car MOT,and not all MOT stations are passed to do this.
The T26 T28 and T30 can be normally be done at your car MOT station.
Some MOT stations in the past have missed or chose to ignore this little bit of information, but now with MOT'S all logged onto computers I would imagine the MOT computer would highlight this to the tester.
This is probably where you have been told about the ''commercial'' part has come from.
I stand corrected, if this proves to be incorrect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the feed back on my "vague" questions. I suppose a lot will come down to what i can afford rather than what i want but i'm slowly getting and idea of what I might "want". I think I want a 2.5 kombi swb but then LWB might be more practical for my needs which will mostly be private everyday transport and hopefully some time as an adventure tour support vehicle. Based on the helpful replies I got I guess I would be looking at a "T30" spec as that should be more than enough as I'm more interested in volume that payload weight. I just need to start adding up the cost of buying a base van and making it how I would like or finding a vehicle with the spec as standard. Seem's a familiar theme looking at other threads here. Thanks again for all your comments .. the search begins :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
The later vans are 2.0 common rail not 1.9 or 2.5 .The 2.0 was used from 2010 on and i think are 84,114,140,180 bhp.?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ours is a 2.5 six speed. Such a step up from the 1.9 T4 we used to have. The power and flexibility means you're never struggling.
It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it! T:
That said, if you're looking for a swb, the new 2.0s are a good engine as well.

Personally, I think Lwb is the way forward. So much more space!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts