VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm looking for a little advice on choosing a full set of rubber for my 18s. They are 9.5J rear and 9J front. Currently wearing 265/35 rear and 235/40 front. I want more profile to help the ride so thinking 45 but that's it really.

Any suggestions or thoughts on what size to go for? Or even where to get it at a good price?!
Thinking about introducing a little stretch but really don't know where to start!

Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok so a little more thought...

225/45/18 - fronts (9J)

245/45/18 - rears (9.5J)

should have a little stretch to them?

do they have to be the same rating front to rear? I can get rears at '100' but fronts only at '95'
any thoughts?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had 235/45/18's on my van and the speedo was dead on, I've just swapped my wheels and the new tyres are 235/40/18's the speedo has dropped by about 10% or more so 30mph now is actually 26/27mph, don't know if this helps or not

·
Registered
751 Posts
Front rating MUST be higher than rear , for obvious reasons ...
I usually agree with you but I'm afraid it's not the case on this occasion.....

The rear load rating is higher than the front because that's where the load carrying capacity is situated....obviously. ;)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! (said in an antagonizing schoolboyish tone).......... LOL:

·
Literally, white van man
4,072 Posts
I usually agree with you but I'm afraid it's not the case on this occasion.....

The VIN does not state the axle weights...the sticker on the landing panel does though. -Correct.

The rear load rating is higher than the front because that's where the load carrying capacity is situated....obviously. ;)

Mmmm?

Not in this case obviously I:

...and to be honest, I would doubt it's the case in most others as the load rating for the axles are designed for dynamic load (the movement of the load centre moment during acceleration/braking/cornering) as well as the 'actual weight'

So your van 'May' have it's maximum 1200kg load plus rear of the van, but the front would share a proportion of that load, have the engine and front of the van, driver and any passengers and any 'tip' caused by braking..

...of course, this 'Could' be tosh :) (but I dont think so ;))

Chris

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hi g60steve. Am not arguing here because personally I think that unless your driving a jcb on the roads right now, none of us are immune to cracked wheels or blowouts at high or low speeds.

Greyandgrumpy (although obviously VERY old and grumpy), has put alot of time and effort into trying to warn people of the dangers of running what is classed as unsafe wheels/tyres for the ratings that we are provided with. Even on the age thing, we should respect our elders LOL:

We all take risks whether is speeding, using phones while driving (even hands free) and even keeping loose luggage in the back of our vans that could kill in a crash.

If you decide to run 18 inch wheels, as I have, make sure they are the strongest you can afford and you will struggle to get much higher than 95 rating on the tyre, as I have. That's my choice.

If you decide to do anything (within reason) beyond the stock wheels and tyres that the vans were made with in the first place, your going in the wrong direction. VW probably had a few cups of tea over deciding what is safe and what's not.

This discussion does depend highly on how you use your van and how much weight you carry for your piece of mind.

Anything less, could effect your insurance as I am sure your aware. That's your choice.

Also, does your insurance know your on 18's? They could wriggle out of paying for a claim if they find any discrepancies in what you say your van is, compared to the facts.

Keep it real!!! :ILU:

·
Registered
10 Posts
sorry i asked and caused crossed word's. ive found a site called car bible. you can put in your original wheel size then tyre size you want to fit. iam going with 245x40x18 and when iam doing 70mph on the speedo i will be doing 69.92 mph. dont think i can get any closer than that. and regards to weight view's. is anyone going to be actually carrying a fully loaded van. mine has bed 2 cabinet's. cooker ect. nothing close to what it was made to carry. chill and enjoy your van's guy's T:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.