VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gang,
This is my first post and I am a complete van novice so be gentle with me.I have been looking for a van for a while now,I go to the TT every year and I am looking to buy a van to take my bike over there and a few other bike related trips.I had been looking at a Transit as I thought a Transporter would be out of my range(£9000 ish),but I have seen a Transporter on Vantrader for £8500 with no VAT.It is a 09 with 44k miles on it,1.9 and 85 hp.I do not want to pay VAT as I am not in the trade and I will be using it as my everyday transport so a low mileage one is what I would like. Is there any thing I should look out for,plus what is the reliability like,MPG etc.I appreciate there is a lot of questions in this post but as I said I am a novice and any advice will be appreciated.Cheers Zed.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Welcome Zed
It has to be a transporter.....
I am not an expert so will leave it to the others to comment. I have seen a fair few pics of bike carrying transporters on here so google your questions with t4 forum in the search and I am sure you will get the answers/inspiration you are looking for.
Best of luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Low miles will pay you back in the future, 1.9 is a Proven engine, just get it Remapped by PENDLE and you will be smiling for sure!!T:

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've had transits and vitos before - they were good - but not a patch on my t5.
I bought my t5 to convert to a camper, and I cannot get over how ruddy good it is to drive.
Light years better than both. A better vehicle to drive, and better put together.
And there's loads more info on how to improve them.
Standard van can be a bit slow and noisy, but a chip and some noise killer does wonders.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Gang,
The van I was looking at has sold unfortunately!I will have to keep looking,if anyone hears of a low miles,1.9 transporter for sale please let me know.I have a budget of 9K ish.Many thanks.Zed

·
Registered
169 Posts
I bought my T5 to replace my lovely T4 as it fell foul of the stupid LEZ in London.

Paid well under £9k for my 2008 SWB 1.9 with 82k on the clock and a full history-and it came with colour coded bumpers & mirrors and side windows too.

I can get three bikes in the back (Fireblade, CBR600 and an RSV) with a bit of jiggling around, but can only get essential tools and leathers in there for the odd track day. Plenty of room with two bikes, and loads with just one (I can even leave the twin rear seat in place). It is far bigger than my T4 was.

After years of using old Transits and newer hired one's, I can say the VW is far superior in ecvery way. They maybe priced higher to buy, but hold their value much longer and there is so much you can do to make it "yours".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts