VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've been cleaning my 2008 1.9 T30 102 T5 ready for a conversion.

I removed the seats to find that there was moisture/liquid under both front seats but mainly the drivers, about 3 inches from where the bulkhead is.

The sponge backing on the vinyl floor was sodden at the same point.

It's now completely dry and I've removed the bulkhead fitting (the part where it's spot welded to the floor) so liquid can no longer collect there but I obviously want to find the root cause and to fix it.

I've been researching on this forum which is very helpful. Suggestions were that liquid can get in from the roof rack bolts so I've checked them and they're all secure with their rubber washers intact so I don't think it's that.

I'm going to see if I have a leaky windscreen this afternoon as ill get the hosepipe on it to see. I report back this evening.

I've pulled back the vinyl floor and I can see its all dry now by there are some stains coming from the centre below where the gear stick is. This is an aircon model. I've just had it serviced and all the fluid levels visible from under the bonnet look good.
Could it be anything to do with the aircon system?
Anyone got any ideas what the cause could be and/or is there anything else I can test?

Thanks Tom

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Aside from leaking windscreens, leaks from air con drain, leaks from bad sealing in the inner A pillar / wing.......the most likely cause of dampness under your absorbent foam flooring (with electrics under it), is water running off your shoes and seeping into the cutouts under the seat.........come on vw..sort your designs out:*.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the advice.

A quick update, I got the hose out on the windscreen and no leaks. So that's good news.

So at the moment, I'm thinking that the moisture/fluid build up under the vinyl floor was most probably a spill or build up of water coming off shoes etc.

Although it's a pain, it's useful to have an understanding of this so I'll keep an eye on it every few months to see if it comes back or not.

Cheers
Tom

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I'm also in the same situation, its a pain!. I did the research on here, checked the scuttle tray etc..., but still no luck!, I am yet to check the heater matrix pipes.....

·
Registered
349 Posts
I had similar and it was the roof bolts had no rubber washer and they weren't tight soe the water was running down the b pillar. Might be worth a check:*

1 - 6 of 6 Posts