VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2.5 TDI ajt in my 2000 reg T4 that's done 168k miles. Over the last 6 months it's been going slowly downhill. It was never a quiet engine but the tappets have lately become really loud (not the vac pump as brake pedal doesn't affect it). I've changed out the oil for fresh. All fluids have been changed. Timing has been done and fuel water pump also changed.

It smokes heavily under hard acceleration as well.

Rather than throwing more money at it I thought I'd ask for some opinions on here first.

What would you look at next or would an engine swap end up being cheaper in the long run? This is something I would have to get done at a garage as I don't have the skills.

Anyone know of anywhere good in the Berkshire / Surrey / Hampshire areas.

Any other options?

Thx

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi all,

I have a 2.5 TDI ajt in my 2000 reg T4 that's done 168k miles. Over the last 6 months it's been going slowly downhill. It was never a quiet engine but the tappets have lately become really loud (not the vac pump as brake pedal doesn't affect it). I've changed out the oil for fresh. All fluids have been changed. Timing has been done and fuel water pump also changed.

It smokes heavily under hard acceleration as well.

Rather than throwing more money at it I thought I'd ask for some opinions on here first.

What would you look at next or would an engine swap end up being cheaper in the long run? This is something I would have to get done at a garage as I don't have the skills.

Anyone know of anywhere good in the Berkshire / Surrey / Hampshire areas.

Any other options?

Thx
Try motion werks in Guildford, he did tdi conversion in my van 3 yrs ago and not one problem

·
Registered
555 Posts
cost of an engine and labor to swap it is going to be a couple of grand and the you have some elses second hand engine with any problems that comes with it.

Set of lifters is cheap, Get the timing belts changed when you have the lifters done and its not going to cost much more than the cost of the belts being done.
The pump timing needs to be checked and set using vcds and the pump timing could well be the cause of your smoke assuming its black smoke and not blue?
Start point is getting any codes read with vcds and having the pump timing checked properly at the same time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts