VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, looking for some expert advice on a purchase of a new Vw T5 A:
I am looking for good fuel economy and thinking the 140bhp model then possibly upgrade bhp, would appreciate any advice at all.
The main things I am not sure on are Lwb or Mwb, bhp, combi or just panel van?
I am looking to buy brand new and keep for minimum of 3 years, if I do sell after 3 years I was wondering which models are more desirable to sell for camper conversions etc? I thought the single rear tailgate was more desired rather than the twin doors but any advice on spec camper conversions are ideal for would be much appreciated as I might love the T5 so much and decide to keep and convert to camper myself.

Thanks in advance guys T:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Hmmm,

Lot of questions buried in there, so here goes.

Buy the engine and BHP you want. It sounds like you are buying new, so upping the BHP may cause warranty issues. You don't want that on a new van.

|Based on what you say, I would get something with windows in it already. You'll be able to drive it at 60 on the main roads instead of being restricted to 50 as you would in a van. This will also make it much easier to converts. OEM fitted windows are a huge plus in my opinion.

yes, get the tailgate model not the barn doors if you may convert. It's good to have somewhere to stand under when it's raining :)

Sportline is probably the most desireable model out there with long waiting lists. Would make for an easy sell on if it came to that.

Hope this is of some help, alhtough may not answer all of your Q's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for the reply T:
I own a car garage so I do not think warranty would be a problem as could easily remove any bhp increase as long as Vw couldn't trace it had been used before.
The sportline was my first choice until I seen the price, then started to wonder what model could get and spec up slightly.

There seems to be endless amounts of research to be done on engine choice, T28 to T32 and which models have cam chain instead of belt to avoid many cam belt changes ( I might be wrong here as only just started to look into T5's)

I would choose Lwb Kombi I think but still stuck on engine and bhp and model?

Again appreciate your reply and advice thanks

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
But VW will be able to tell from the ECU that there have been read and write access to the system, you can't remove all traces of what you have been doing, although you can remove the extra horses.

(this is my limited understanding on the subject as I'm no expert).

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Sportline kombi is nice but having had a new sportline for 2 years ive just sold it. Spent a lot converting it into a day van but for me i always felt that i was just paying for the name sportline on the v5 doc. I think residual values are good on the sportline but you can get more van for your money by speccing one up. I had a 61 plate panel van sportline and for similar money ive now ordered a lwb kombi with sportline body kit, 180bhp, dsg, full leather and whole host more of extras.
Oh and the t28 t32 etc is the load weight, it has no relevance to engine size. Sportlines only come as 180bhp which is the 2.0l biturbo engine. Best engine to go for if you like some poke.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello thanks for taking the time to reply
What models do you get under the sportline Kombi then? And roughly how much extra to spec up to Sportline spec?
I can claim the vat back so if not much more and less hassle then might be pushed into direction of sportline :*

Think only questions left now are T28 or T32 etc? Def be LWB I go for.

Thanks all T:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.