VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this summer I picked up a second job and therefore I was paying slightly higher tax on the money I earnt from this company.

Two months later I left my first job and started working full time for my second.

Like an idiot I didnt even think about telling the second job to amend the tax code or whatever and got raped of tax for the remaining months.

Is there a way of claiming this back at all or is it a slightly expensive lesson ive learnt?

This year im registering self employed and think I have this under control thanks to advice from a previous thread.

Thanks

Ed

·
Registered
274 Posts
You should have got a P45 from first employer confirming your tax code, give this to other employer and they will amend your tax code and you will get a rebate.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
you will get a rebate but dont think for one minute they will offer it to you . a bit of form filling is in order i think. even if they only owe you 10 quid , claim it back , its not theirs . although they do think it is !! T: i got a 200 quid rebate this year :)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would have you will get a rebate end of year!! not sure though.I:
Thats what I was thinking but I was also wondering as it was my fault that maybe id have to fill a form out or something just to make getting it back that extra bit harder.

Got my tax rebate from 2009 last month so dont think they work that hard in the tax office.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should have got a P45 from first employer confirming your tax code, give this to other employer and they will amend your tax code and you will get a rebate.
Yeah I got that but I didnt think to give it to my second job. Im now self employed so dont work at either anymore. Pretty confusing, so maybe a trip to the tax office might be in order.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The ole PAYE system Pay All You Earn...... !!!!!! I:I::(. Don't let the robbing s get away with it, they take enough of the hard working people of this country.. It may be a bit of form filling in which to be honest your new firm should do and get back dated and you'll get a rebate at the end of the tax year.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
DO THIS ^^

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/starting-work.htm
If you're leaving a job

Make sure you get a form P45 from your employer when you leave - unless you're a student who has not had tax deducted because you completed form P38S Student Employees - see the section 'If you're a student and working'. If you start a new job you'll need to give your P45 to your new employer. They'll use it to work out your tax.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you have paid too much tax you can get it back even if you think it was your fault. From your replies it seems that you no longer work at either job and are now self employed. You need to know which tax year you have over paid in. If it was up until 5th April 2011, I suggest that you speak to your accountant as time is running out for completing a tax return for that year. End of this month. If the tax year is this year then when you complete a tax return for this year you will have to fill out how much you have earnt in both your jobs so the overpayment will become apparent then.

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
im sure a trip to your local friendly tax office will prove fruitful, its free too T:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts