VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys bear with me as im no mechanic!!!! I need to have a new wheel bearing fitted and a local garage has offered to do it for £10 if i get the hub off and take that to them which is a massive help as my funds are incredibly limited.
I have no idea how to do this so can anyone give me some instructions and an idea of whether this is doable for a layman!!!!!!!
Many thanks for any info in advance
Should say it a front hub on my 1992 Lwb 2.4 Diesel T4

·
Registered
154 Posts
sim2101,

Don't want to sound too discouraging but removing and refitting the front hubs is quite an involved job. I did mine a while back on the same basis - removing them and taking to a local garage to have the bearings fitted. If you've already got the gear then presumably you'll have some mechanical experience, in which case you should be able to work it all out. Otherwise you'll need to spend a fair whack buying a jack, axle stands, sockets & ratchet, spline bits, breaker bar, and torque wrench etc. If you're not minded to be doing other spanner work on the vanyourself then it may be better to spend the cash getting the garage to do the whole job instead - I'd ask them for a quote to see what's involved.

The other thing to consider is safety. Anything concerning suspension / steering / wheels is safety critical. If you're not 100% confident of your abilities then you could be compromising your own safety and that of others. Consider the results of something in the front end setup coming adrift at motorway speeds....

Having said that, we all have to learn and gain experience somehow. With the aid of a workshop manual and the advice you'll get on here it's a do-able job for DIY - but in Haynes rating I'd say it's a 3 spanner job.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I saw a few days ago a thread on here about group DIY meets somewhere in east Devon where a load of member get together for a BBQ couple of beers and some van fettling would like to start going myself.
Will see if I can find the thread...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts