VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I new here, but have looked through many of the threads for some info on what to look for in buying a good diesel T4. Ive been looking at a 94 model. Obviously its a bit battered and bruised at 300,000 kms, but starts up and drives well.

A few niggly problems, like stereo not working, bits of trim missing, power steering fluid cap missing etc, all easily resolved i'm sure. My main concern is the temperature and fuel gauge don't work. Apparently mechanics have tried and failed to fix this, but i thought it may be something common that one of you guys had come across before. Also, i didn't test drive it for long, but the radiator fan was buzzing away. Do they get hot, is that normal, or could it be a switch gone?

There is not much in the way of service history, i guess i'll need to get it checked over after i buy and see if timing belt needs doing, (how often should it be changed) but really i'm just after any advice of things i should look out for before i buy, and things that i should definitely avoid. It started up great, although glowplug light took about 20 seconds to go off, it felt a little sluggish and the brakes weren't too responsive, but i figure that is what i have to get used to with a van, certainly a 17 year old van.

It was a devonshire conversion, bought in the UK and shipped to aus in 2003, 1 owner, and only done 10000kms in the last 3 years. the front pipe of the exhaust just before it bends into a horizontal section was rattling around, probably another quick fix.

I should be clear, i'm not looking for a perfect vehicle, i will be working in it, and my budget is low, but i want a reliable motor thats not gonna end up costing me a fortune to maintain, so if any of you guys more knowledgeable than me can give me a heads up on what to check for, and if they are prone to issues... and expensive repairs.

many thanks

Dave

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so found the dials is a common problem, and most likely fixable, however struggling to find the how to with the search. A link would be great though.

I guess i'm just after some advise on what to check on a test drive?

Would a dodgy thermostat put the fan on that much?

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, found the link, pretty sure i can give this a go.

The more i read, the more I think i can't go wrong with this van. Any problems seem to have a cheap solution on this website!

·
Registered
78 Posts
hi ya dave,i have a 96 t4 2.4 diesel these vans just keep goin as long as you keep them serviced well,T: temp an fuel gauge is just a case of resoildering (check out the link on the net for this)did mine an they ok now.if your unsure about the fan,fit new sensor as they doun't cost to much. phil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts