VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my T5 recently and seller said not picking up many stations. Thought possible bury kit interfering.

Fitted a new stereo this week to replace the bog standard vw unit 2009 59 t5 kombi.
New unit is the alpine one with cd/radio and USB iPod connectivity as mentioned on the forum somewhere I read. Unit is great, looks good and sounds so much better.

Problem is that even with a powered antenna connected the radio pics up about 4 stations. After much peeing around, we tried a normal exterior aerial just plugged in to the unit. This worked a treat!

Of course this was good news that we had located the issue but now a new problem finding the problem worth the aerial.:eek::eek:

Vw were helpful when I called them and said it would be the aerial within the screen but more likely one of the connections in the cable had been pulled apart.

Any tips on how I mange to trace it back, how can I get to the cable to find where the problem is?
Any advice on whether this is the likely problem - any similar experience?

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Bought my T5 recently and seller said not picking up many stations. Thought possible bury kit interfering.

Fitted a new stereo this week to replace the bog standard vw unit 2009 59 t5 kombi.
New unit is the alpine one with cd/radio and USB iPod connectivity as mentioned on the forum somewhere I read. Unit is great, looks good and sounds so much better.

Problem is that even with a powered antenna connected the radio pics up about 4 stations. After much peeing around, we tried a normal exterior aerial just plugged in to the unit. This worked a treat!

Of course this was good news that we had located the issue but now a new problem finding the problem worth the aerial.:eek::eek:

Vw were helpful when I called them and said it would be the aerial within the screen but more likely one of the connections in the cable had been pulled apart.

Any tips on how I mange to trace it back, how can I get to the cable to find where the problem is?
Any advice on whether this is the likely problem - any similar experience?
I doubt it will be the screen at fault unless you can see a break along the thin line going down the middle of the screen, have you checked the connection on to the screen, have seen many popped off, also have seen the amp which sits directly above the aerial in the head lining, also seen one or two corroded due to poorly fitted screens..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I can't see any problem with the screen at all. I have a reverse camera fitted and I noticed that lead is tucked behind the aerial connection so will check it out tomorrow. How do I get at the unit under the headlining if the connection is OK to the screen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a Kenwood system upgrade when I bought my van. The dab reception was almost nil, fm reception was very poor too. Ended up fitting a good quality amplified bee sting aerial on the roof. Perfect reception now.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Thanks. I can't see any problem with the screen at all. I have a reverse camera fitted and I noticed that lead is tucked behind the aerial connection so will check it out tomorrow. How do I get at the unit under the headlining if the connection is OK to the screen.
Try removing the light and plastics, it is tucked just above screen..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again. I can't see any issue with the cap on the aerial connection. I'll see if I can see under the headlining over the next few days.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nightmare .

Replaced the amp and the long lead that Mae with it.

Radio was re-installed by another auto electrician and he re wired the live feed.

So now the radio has the amplified bullet, been checked twice and also the new amp.

Guess what? It now picks up a few more stations but loses them including R1 with some ease!

Not seen many T5s with shark fins or other exterior aerials so now really miffed.

Is it worth me spending more money to get the radio and bury kit removed and just radio fitted to see if bury wiring is or causing the problem somehow.

Sick of spending money on it now!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Think found the problem but now don't know how to solve it!

The van has a reverse camera that previous own claimed dealer had fitted for him when the van came without the rear parking sensors he'd ordered.

Anyway told it isn't a vw head unit.

Guess what, by accident we found that the cable for the camera is interfering with the signal passing down the aerial cable where they run along the headlining together.

Absolut5 have you any suggestions? Is there anything I can insulate either with? Should I try to re route the camera cable down passenger side and across form the othe side? Nt sure where it goes now?

Hopefully there is a simple solution other than buying a different had unit/stereo/sat nav.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Think found the problem but now don't know how to solve it!

The van has a reverse camera that previous own claimed dealer had fitted for him when the van came without the rear parking sensors he'd ordered.

Anyway told it isn't a vw head unit.

Guess what, by accident we found that the cable for the camera is interfering with the signal passing down the aerial cable where they run along the headlining together.

Absolut5 have you any suggestions? Is there anything I can insulate either with? Should I try to re route the camera cable down passenger side and across form the othe side? Nt sure where it goes now?

Hopefully there is a simple solution other than buying a different had unit/stereo/sat nav.

Personally I cannot see how the camera cable is causing a problem as it's not active until in reverse, and normally the camera cable runs along the original cable on passenger side and down 'A' pillar, then behind glovebox....

They are not the best aerials, and Alpines are not the best tuners out there., however you have confirmed the radio works with another aerial... Have you messed around with the radio settings, as I had one in the other day and the radio just scanned, played around with the local settings and presto:)

Also consider a DAB option, works wellT:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again for the advice.

I had a good look around today and as per the auto electrics guys yesterday had said, the monitor clearly interferes immediately held next to the aerial or even close. The previous owner claimed that VW had fitted this camera for him. I'm not so sure as was told year day that he head unit isn't The VW one.

Anyway, clearly the problem. Have managed to track both back, in couple them where they met and crossed paths down the driver side where they both run up the a pillar. My plan was to re route to passenger side and up that way as you suggest but I couldn't find how to remove enough panels to pull the monitor cable out completely.

Next best thing I managed to run the aerial lead up the edge of the a pillar next to the door seal and pulled it across the headlining as far back as I could looping the cable in the hope it might help signal above driver door.
I thin ran the monitor cable up the front edge of a pillar and pulled the excess down into the base of the a pillar area.

This is almost perfect. It tunes all the stations now and remains clear even when camera is fully active. Incidentally there seems to be lave feed to the monitor all of the time on this version of head unit as it interferes 100% of the time and gets worse when turned on.

Now it all works and is clear HOWEVER I think it could better if I could unfasten the sun visor mounts that hold the headlining tight up front. If I cold undo them I could move the aerial cable further back in the headlining through to the amp and further any from the monitor lead.

Wh do I unfasten the sun visor mounts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts