VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Aesthetic question

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Wisewood 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I just managed to grab what seems like a bargain too good to be true. (I know, if it seems too good...)
I caught THESE on ebay.
4 alloys with tyres for £80.

:cool:

I'm sure that something's wrong. They probably don't have the right load rating or they'll leak or something I've not even thought of. They came off a T4 previously (summer wheels for a Scandinavian vehicle apparently) so that gives me some hope. Whatever happens I'll cross that bridge when I get them later this week but for now I have one, hopefully simple question:

As you can see one of the center badges is a bit rough, so I think I need to either replace that one, which will then probably not quite match the others, or replace all of them. In which case do I go for PCW logo as is? VW caps? Or something random (Porsche, smartcar, thundercats)...?

A small point I know but I'm just starting here. More challenging things to come I'm sure...
T:

See less See more
#2 ·
I love how the make is vw transporter alloy wheels because they happen to fit on a vw transporter.

A square wheel with the correct stud pattern in this case is a vw transporter alloy wheel. LOL: would you fit it though?

All jokes aside though. Try to I.D them first and find out some details if your worried.

Remember kids. Safety first :)

#3 ·
Agreed, they will be thoroughly vetted before I use them as I'm usually transporting 4 or more kids every day.
I found them because I searched for "195 70 15" as I got a flat coming down the A38 a couple of days ago.
I'm now running with the spare, the condition of which is scarier than the thought of these right now. Ahh the joys of being skint...

#4 ·
Panther Custom Wheels - they make 4x4 wheels, so there's a chance they'll be suitably rated. You need details off the back (they may even be weight stamped) then you could always ask the company!

#6 ·
I would clean, key and spray them a matching silver, buy some VW stickers off eBay personally and whack them on top.

My Audi A4 wheels are missing the large centres and new ones cost more then the wheels are worth, so I just took some old caps from some Ford wheels, sprayed them "wheel silver" and stuck some cheap VW cap badges on top, then sikaflexed them onto the wheel :)
Job done.

#7 ·
Thanks for that, doesn't look half bad. I'm most inclined to use VW badges, but I was half thinking I'd get a few 'You can't pass those off as VW alloys!' replies.
Probably just me being paranoid. They do seem a bit fancy for OEM though.

Need to get them... H:

#8 ·
Oooh, slight development- I found what seems to be the only reference to these wheels on the net (that I've found...). A Norwegian Land-rover forum with a guy saying his wheel bolts don't fit.
Now his are 16" wheels but apparently 1012kg rated :)
To my knowledge it would be unlikely for the same wheel design to have different load ratings.

Wouldn't it? :gl

Dropped the van in to the gearbox place today to have a 5th gear problem sorted and they were vague about when it was coming out :bhd so don't now know when I'll be picking them up.

I fret too much.

#9 ·
:mw

Tadaaa!

Well they're on. They do indeed say 1012kg on the back. They also say the manufacturer (not PCW at all. EPC... EMP... or something. I can't remember). and they roll nicely:)
They currently feel a bit 'pimp' with the gold on the center caps but I've ordered some replacement VW badges which should smarten things up.

However- You may notice it's riding a bit high...:eek:

When I got the van the guy said something about it having the wrong springs in the back. I don't know what the ride height is supposed to be but I've got 130mm between top of wheel and arch. Anyone know what it's supposed to be? I'd love to drop it as it's like Zebedee on corners at the mo but I'm not sure what effect certain springs would have. I've read that lowering springs don't drop Caravelles as much as other vans, which is fine, but now I don't know where I'm starting or finishing:confused:
Would most appreciate if anyone could shed some light on this.

#11 ·
Some caravelles a had the option of factory lowering. This was done by fitting Eibachs springs and winding down the front torsion arms.

Result on finding load rated alloys. Probably came off a Merc Vito or similar. T:
I like the idea of a thunder cat or transformers decals. There are a few on here that could make you up some vinyl stickers.

this is my bus on Eibachs and with 195 70 15 tyres. should give you an idea of the drop.

#12 ·
this is my bus on Eibachs and with 195 70 15 tyres. should give you an idea of the drop.
Very niceT: Is that factory lowered or aftermarket? Did you change the rubber plates? How does it corner?

Similar to ours to be honest. Rocking the Syncro look
:) If I was doing a fair bit off road I might not mind so much. It's just the lean on the corners which bothers me.
And that only started to bother me after I drove my Brother in law's T4 (LWB 102 TDI) which corners so much better than mine.:eek: I need to find out what's on his really.
However, mine's still better in almost every other way though...;)

It'll probably be a while before I have the funds, having just shelled out around £800 on more important bits.:(

#15 ·
I thought exactly the same when I posted that pic. I had just jetwashed the van a few hours before so I guess it was just a bit of surface rust. Checked this morning after the school run and all's nice and shiney:)

...Cornering is okay. But it's a van...
You're right, these are vans. they'll never corner like an Ariel Atom but i think the excessive leaning may have caused my last set of tyres to wear on the outside a little prematurely. Maybe not, I don't fully understand the geometry of it.

...It'll probably be a while before I have the funds...
Scratch that. I: The eibachs may have to wait but immediately after my last post I grabbed THESE on ebay.
OK so they look shocking but they can't be worse than what I have. They look progressively wound and with some new plates they might work out OK.
Besides I'm feeling lucky with ebay bargains after my wheels.
So what's the best way to refurb a pair of springs?
Hmmm, this thread seems to need migrating to the suspension section.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.