VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, apologies to the mods as I did put this in the General chat forum before I realised what I embarking on with this project. All i wanted to begin with was a replacement cylinder head that would fit my 1z block, now im reading about 20bhp increase just from the head and injectors alone, 20bhp more with a basic remap and a total of 180bhp if I add an 11mm cam plate to the injector pump........ I wasnt looking for massive power increase when I set out, but being as Ive got to remove the head and turbo off the 1z engine I fitted to my van last summer, and I now have the parts available to do so, i think it would be foolish not to attempt to convert my 1z to full AFN spec with a couple of extra mods.

However, I havent found much info on getting an AFN and VNT turbo under the bonnet of a T4. I have found two threads which make interesting bedtime reading but for the benefit of the rest of the T4 community here I think it would be worthwhile to begin my own build thread showing whats involved...... although ive no doubt im going to need some support from that community.

The two threads ive read so far are:

and

Can anyone think of anymore?

Today Ive got home with a load of "goodies" removed from a 1997 Audi A4 Tdi. The components ive grabbed off it are:

AFN Cylinder Head,
PP764 Nozzles (already fitted to the injectors and in the head)
VNT turbo.
VNT Manifold.
VNT Oil feed pipe.
VNT Half oil drain pipe. (had to cut the pipe to remove it, so i only have the upper half)
VNT 3 bolt Exhaust to Cat Flange.
AFN ECU.
N75 .
MAF Sensor.
Injector Pump.

Straight away im wondering if I should go back and get the wiring loom from the A4........ is that going to be necessary or will my 1z loom work? Is there anything else you can think of that ill need before they crush the rest of the car?

·
Registered
864 Posts
I wouldn't bother much with the fuel pump, better look for a used AHH fuel pump, its the hole shebang ! The pump connector might be different between the pumps and will need modding. Also depending on year the donor might have either a MSA 15 ecu or a edc15, the wiring loom is not compatible between them...

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Adamss24,

Currently fitted on the van, ive got a B4 Passat ECU and loom with an ECU part number 0 281 001 368 / 369

I sent this off to vagtronics a while ago but apart from turning the immobiliser off they said they couldnt do much else with it.

On the donor cars ECU (1997 R Audi A4 Tdi Manual) i have the part number 028 906 021 GL which looks physically the same as the Passat ECU and does physically fit the ECU connector from the Passat loom.

Also ive just searched google for the EDC15 ECU and they are physically very different. Does this mean I can get away with using my existing loom? :)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
wgats the problem that means stripping your engine?

aso, much the same as Adam said, and you'll need to do some reading..... (tdiclub as a start(y))

Does this mean I can get away with using my existing loom? :)
potentially the 'n75' solenoid's signal will operate the vnt's vacuum system (needs the vnt's vacuum type solenoid) but I believe you'll have issues fitting an inline car type vnt turbo & exhaust manifold in the t4's enginebay....

also, what would you gain? the 90hp tdi has loads of power at low revs / just off 'tickover' and the vnt is designed to do the same but more :unsure:

Rich.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Theres a valve stuck open, Rich... i believe due to a cross threaded cam cover bolt in the ally head working itself loose, and spraying oil everywhere but the valve. It may not have damaged the head but the head has to come off anyway.

As mentioned it was a Corrado/Passat fan mate who persuaded me that the VNT/AFN was an idea to gain more power. Not silly power but more than standard to I just thought why not look into it? For the price ive bought this stuff for im not bothered. Ive got a spare head should I need it and the rest I can sell for a profit if I dont use it....... but people have got VNT and AFNs under T4 bonnets before.... havent they?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts