VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, my one true fear is the title of this post! im setting up the van for camping and as i have a spare van starter battery in my garage and no money in the bank i was going to use the battery to power my cooler box and usb port while camping. My question is what are the very basic details(pictures if possible) of how to wire the battery under the drivers seat,and power my stuff, oh and a set of ikea led lights. i know i need a vsr split charger, but im scared sh****ss of killing my van electrics, so be gentle with me but please guide me!! thanks , carol.

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
If you want to save some money use a heavy duty 100amp relay and then take an ignition live behind the headlight switch to activate it when the ignition is on. You then need to run a wire with fuses at each end via the relay between the batteries. Ground the second battery under seat, take live wires from the battery ideally via switches each with inline fuses to the cool box lights etc and ground each one as near as possible to it to the van metal bodywork. Obviously you will need to work out routes ets to run wires and also determine suitable cable size etc but as long as there are fuses on each positive wire and you don't play around the with van wiring you will be fine (apart from the headlight switch).

·
Registered
139 Posts
Upspex / travel volts sells excellent kit. All the wires are marked with numbers and come with instructions + he provides a phone number if you need help. I am in the process of fitting mine and it seems dead simple. No mushroom clouds. Yet. Like your bench / bed and cooking pod by the way!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts