1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
That's low were you in the workshop dropping that today looks the same one

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
nice van never seen a van with a slider on the drivers side on a right hand drive van or it a camera trick!!!!!!!:ILU:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice van never seen a van with a slider on the drivers side on a right hand drive van or it a camera trick!!!!!!!:ILU:
Well done for noticing. Ive had the van for almost 5 years now and the original owner asked for the slider to behind the drivers door to aid him getting out his photography kit quickly. My van started its life as one of the first T5's. It was ordered at Benfield Van Centre in Newcastle. When I first bought it I wasn't to sure about it, but I wouldn't change it now. It's funny when I have my mock German plates on because I get so much abuse off other drivers, I think they think Im one of zee Germanz.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
i thought firstly it was a left hooker ,then perhaps ironically photo trickery ,but anyway nice van mate looks smooth ,i really like the front end looks sweet:ILU:

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
That looks so cool, wish I could get mine that low, but I would'nt get in me drive, suppose I could always mod the drive with a JCB thoughI:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
VMAXX coilys, but the fronts have also been dropped through the mounts by about 50 or 60mm :ILU:
I've got a set of vmaxx on mine but it's nowhere near as low as that:eek:
I was going to go down the air route with my new van but might have a rethink now:confused:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here a brief how to and lessons learned. I hope it helps you all on your quest for slammage.
On the back I only used the base blue collar, the one with the treads on. To pack it out so the spring would sit on nice and tight I wrapped duck tape around the threads, this will also protect the threads should I wish to add the adjusting collar again in the future. I also removed the 10mm thick rubber spring seat from the swing arm so now the spring sits directly on the swing arm. This is as low as you can go with out cutting springs or any money no object chassis work. I wont go any lower on the back as the front is as low as it can possibly go so at this height it is set up looking evenly.
As for the front, I did have only the base blue collar on them aswel, however I was always worrying whether it would hold as its a lot of weight held on only a few threads. To my joy it did hold. I have now added the top blue collar back on though, as I didnt need to ride that low on the coil after dropping the dampers through my hubs.
Now a quick detail on the hub mod. Bare with me as I will jump from one thing to another while trying to explain how I have done this, once red it will make sence though. Some people on will tell you that by doing this mod you only need to hold your damper in place using the 2 hub mount bolts, well they may hold and they may very well but Im not going to drive around with my wife and little boy knowing that I only secured my van in place using 4 bolts. To ensure that you are safe on the roads I would advise people carrying out this mod to fabricate steel collars. To do this measure how far you want to lower the front end, on my van I was as low as my coilys would go and I still wanted to come down another 30mm. So when my wheels were of I measured from the top edge of the hub mounts to the bottom edge of the anti roll bar branch on the damper, in my case it was 60mm so I knew I need to fabricate steel collars that were wide enough to slide my dampers through and they needed to by 30mm deep. These steel collars were 5mm thich tubular steel, using these I know that the weight of my van is not going to crush these collars and therefore Im happy that my van is not going to suddenly drop while driving and hitting a bump in the road. Of course I still used the 2 hub mount bolts but they simply stop the dampers rotating in place, basically they are doing the job they are meant to and you are not relying on them holding up the weight of your van.
Once you remove your damper from the hub mount, you can see and feel a small step at the bottom edge of the mount where the damper slides into, you need to remove this step as that is the peice that stops the damper sliding through your hub. Im not going to lie, it is a time consuming task. Using a grinding stone on your drill is the quickest way but this still takes a bit of time and testing and adjusting, you dont want to start grinding the inside of the mound to much as this will not provide the tight grip on your damper, (ONLY REMOVE THE STEP). I removed the branch arms on the lower ends of the dampers, (the things that hold the brake lines). I just used a hack saw and then filed to finish nice and smooth. I also removed the locating hole peice at the back of the damper using the same method. Once I removed this piece I marked the position with a sharpy pen so I could marry the damper back into the hub mount in the correct position. It will find the correct position by itself. To do this, (assuming you have the van on an axle stand) when refitting your coily, slide the damper back into the mount (to do this easily remove the 2 tightening bolts completely, then using a metal hammer and about a 5mm thick chisel, hammer the chisel into the gap at the bottom rear of the mount. This will pry the mount open enough so that you can slide your damper in and out easily (with out loosing any knuckles). (This is also easier when you turn the side your working on away from you).
To find the correct position introduce your coily back into its working position by sliding the damper back into the hub mount in what appears to by the correct position, making sure the anti roll bar branch is sqaure to the mount and not on an angle. Now slowly start jacking up the swing arm to raise the top of your damper through its locating hole, not to much though as all you want to do now is raise it enough so that you can re-attach your anti roll bar. Then once your happy you have tightend that up you can lower you swing arm slightly so that it takes up some load, this will turn the damper if it needs to. Then remove the chisel from your hub. and re-attach your hub mount bolts. Tighten them as much as you want. Then re-attach your wheels and remove axle stand, then lower your van. Once on the ground attach the bolts to the tops of your dampers and tighten, by doing this on the ground it will help prevent that annoying creaking sound you sometimes get when turning after lowering. Not finished yet, raise the van one last time so the wheel is of the ground again, now attach the adjusting screw to the tops of your dampers. I did this but unfourtunatly these parts are poor quality, sure they look pretty but are as robust as a wet rich tea. I have fouled 2 of these now and I am no longer going to go back to my supplyer asking for more as the last time it was an epic. Instead, knowing that I was fully slammed and that I would need to have my shocks on the hardest setting providing quick rebound, I have simply screwed in a bolt into the top of each damper, (only hand tight) its not going anywhere and it keeps my dampers on max setting.
Now for the bad bit so take heed.
When I made my steel collars I got greedy and in my quest for slammage I took an extra 5mm off meaning my collars are only 25mm. This meant the bottom edge of my dampers just touches the top edge of my cv boots. I took it for a test drive of about 30 miles and then checked the cv boots, they were fine but I had noticed rubbing on the inner arch. To rectify this I removed the front wheels again and then removed the inner plastic arch liners. (These parts are there to help prevent any muck and road debrie from collecting inside your arches. So although I have heard of people removing them completly I didnt want to do this as it could later leed to corrosion inside my arches. Instead I cut away the tops of the arches thus creating an extra 5 or 6mm play in the tops of each front arch, but there is still enough plastic inner arch left to provent any from collecting inside the wheel arches. I didnt bother rolling my arches as my wheels wont catch them, however at the centre top of each front wheel arch there is a small metal peice used to bolt the plastic inner arch liner to the body, as I had removed the tops of the inner arches these metal peices werent needed so I bent them up out of the way. After another test drive I am happy to report that there was no rubbing at all, not on full lock not on speed bumps, nothing. Well the next day I drove to Newcastle, and after about 100 mile I cheacked them at the services and to my horror :eek: the cv boots had tore. There was grease every where. I then spent the next 5 hours cruising up the slow lane in old school vw fashion and stopping every 50 mile to let the cv joints cool down so as not to damage them. This was yesterday, the van is now in vw getting new boots fitted. I did look at the possability of getting narrower boots fitted, maybe from a golf, but they use the same size boot. The other option is to file away about 1mm of the bottom edge of my damper to provide greater distance between the 2 areas. The other option and an option Im not going to entertain is to raise the van, even by a couple of mm. This is not an option I want to entertain as I love the new splitty low stance of my van.
Hope this is usefull. :ILU:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Whats sat in the drivers seat? Is it a dog or cuddly toy?

Nice van! I never noticed the side door untill i read the first few posts.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats our dog, she's called Mr Tinks! go figure! The wife named her, and after calling her Mr she wonders why we catch her peeing with her leg cocked and humping her teddy. Bless her, thinking shes a bloke dog
Whats sat in the drivers seat? Is it a dog or cuddly toy?

Nice van! I never noticed the side door untill i read the first few posts.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Van is now in vw hospital for the weekend. Getting new cv boots fitted, and to conquer the rubbing Im raising the dampers 10mm back through the hub mounts, and fitting new steel collars. To keep the current height Im going to remove the bottom blue adjusting collar on the coily, this is 10mm thick. I wouldnt do this for fear of it not being strong enough, but Ive already run it like this for over a month previously and it was fine. So it looks like I may have sorted it now. I get my van back on Monday. Hopefully it will be sweet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts