VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right then, Im going to fit an aftermarket temperature gauge. I really like the nice light up green ones off ebay but i guess id be better getting the proper VDO one.

Just Kampers sell one for £35

http://www.justkampers.com/shop/t4/original-parts/vehicle-electrics/vdo-temp-gauge-coolant-120oc-12v-52mm-j11558.html

And they also do the plumbing kit

http://www.justkampers.com/shop/fitting-kit-for-water-temperature-sender-build-in-vdo-j13064.html

But £63 is a bit steep. Now you can get the adapter cheaper on other websites and cheaper still on ebay but you need to know the inside diameter of the hose and the size of the thread on the sensor that comes with the gauge.

Anyone any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
look's like your all set ask the dealer what size the hose's are or measure them and the motor factor's will tell you the inside dim!
i want to do this too, the question is

where do you fit it? in which hose? what reading do you want to get ?

i want one to measure the bottom pipe coming out of the thermostat, when the stat goes the water is blocked in the head and can damage the gasket! i know all about it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I might be of some help...
I have been researching how to monitor the temperature of my aircooled Beach Buggy.
In my case its oil temp but the issues are the same.
I think you will find that almost all the sensors have 1/8th NPT threads. Also check the base of the thread - some are flat and a copper washer would be fine, but some have a chamfered seat that fits into a chamfered edge.
Some people confuse NPT threads with a metric fine which is a fairly close but incorrect fit. You dont want to be stripping threads and creating leaks.
Make sure you get a VDO sensor. There will be a thermistor inside it and there are hundreds of different thermistors so you'd need a proper VDO sensor if you want the numbers on the guage to be anywhere close to actual temperature. Thats not vital, just useful, see below?
This £63 might be worth considering to be honest. I'm a lifelong tinkerer and bodger, but wouldn't attempt this.
If you are keen to spend hours saving thirty quid then when you find a pipe the right size, and turn lips onto each end to prevent the hoses working their way off (the system is under pressure remember) you need to solder, braise or weld a thick lump of metal to it (eg a nut) and make sure its watertight even under pressure and temperature.
Cut the correct thread and seat into the nut and bolt it all up.
A lot of time I havent got to spare.
As for which hose, Personally I would be trying to monitor the temperature of the heads, so get a hose in that circuit not in the loop that is opened only when the thermostat is hot. The heater matrix circuit is a favourite on most engines.
I suppose you could calibrate the guage with a pan of water, adjust the needle position to read 100 when the sensor has been boiling for a few minutes but most of us would just rely on knowing the 'normal' position of the needle under normal driving conditions and look for any changes.
This is why race cars used to have dials that were not level in the dashboard. They would turn them so that the needles all pointed vertical under normal race conditions - quicker to spot a different needle position at high speeds. But a T4 doing sixty on a motorway is another game and I am digressing. Sorry.
I like my temp guage in my beach buggy dash. Never wired it up though. I dont drive it hard enough for overheating to be an issue.
If I had £100 spare I'd be looking at a used intercooler and de-Cat pipe to give a little more cheap power so I dont have to drive it as hard?
Horses for courses I suppose.
Best of luck.

do you have the kit to turn lips onto each end of it to prevent hoses working loose, welded a nut onto it (high pressure watertight welds !)

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very useful post mate. Cheers.

I dont have gear to do that. I was looking at the adapter kits on demon tweaks website. I think they are proper VDO suppliers. But unless youre buying the on JK supply specifically for VW's then you have to specify what size you want.

Thanks for the info on where to fit it.

Also, im fitting the gauge due to the common 2.4d issue of the clocks not working. im on my second set and it seems to be wandering a bit again. Its got to the point where i just don't trust the temp gauge. If you read my build thread, you'll see why i dont want another inaccurate temperature reading LOL:

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
As for were to put ya sensor. all depends on what your wanting to measure

Pritty obvious one tells you how hot your engines warter temp is one tels you how well your cooling.

at work for cooling furnaces we fit temps senders to the hot side (infeed to radiator)

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
where do you work mate? Im going to fit it as close to the original temp sensor as i can get. But i dont know the inside diameter of the hose without taking one off (and dropping all the coolant)
Ross an catheralls mate.

Does vagcat not shed amy clues?

Id assume its same pipe work and rad for most could you not nip to local scrappy and have buchers?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts