VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am going to blank the EGR valve on my 151bhp AXG engine.

The valve looks different than in the technical guide for the 102bhp.

It is like this:

It seems better to blank it on both sides of the pipes according to vwt4 wiki

In order to proceed with the blanking:

1) should I remove the all EGR valve or just the pipe?

2) should I also clean the EGR valve or just blank it?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Re 1
To do the blanking you need only remove the stainless steel pipe and fit the blanking plates. You do not need to specifically touch the EGR valve. You could be asking do you remove the pipe section containg the EGR valve, and looking at the picture that might make things a little easier and allow better inspection of how much blocking has ocured.

Re 2
Due to the function of recirculating dirty air the inlet manifold can get build-up of oily deposits that will restrict airflow through the inlet pipework. This build-up is only after the EGR valve. In the first of your pictures you would expect to see build-up in the cast aluminum pipe coming towards the bottom of the picture.
Supposedly the airway will self clean once the EGR function is disabled, however if its taken 100,000km to build it up its going to take much the same to clean it back down; and that assumes that clean air does indeed clean away oily hydrocarbon deposits.
If it needs manually cleaning you'll need to completely remove the inlet manifold so as to not drop any bits into your cylinders.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am wondering too.

E.g. is there enough space to add the blanking plates and gaskets - or is the connecting-pipe "formed to fit"?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got 3mm plates. The problem could be the bolts length. I saw that some people completely removes the pipe where the plates go. In the latter case there should not be any problem.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
...... is there enough space to add the blanking plates and gaskets - or is the connecting-pipe "formed to fit"?
The connecting pipe is formed but it has some flex/spring in it due to the corrugated pipe walls. I'd be guessing but I suspect its there as the EGR gas is hot and it helps absorb expansion/contraction of the pipe.

I got 3mm plates. The problem could be the bolts length. I saw that some people completely removes the pipe where the plates go. In the latter case there should not be any problem.
If you remove the pipe then you may need something else to put in place to pinch/hold the metal gasket so that it stays sealed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey there

Anyone get this done on an AXG? Just went to do mine with the instructions printed out and noticed the difference.

Should I buy another plate? Lost the connecting pipe?

TIA

Andrew

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
As an aside to this thread, I also have an AXG and want to clean out the EGR and inlet manifold (not blank it...yet).
Can anyone direct me to the correct gasket that sits between the EGR and the inlet manifold?

The local VW parts department don't seem to have the AXG inlet manifold/EGR valve in their computer. They have given me 2 oval gaskets (that go each end of the concertina-ed recirculation pipe as far as I'm concerned), but when I mention the inlet manifold I just get blank stares...

Thanks

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Bumping this one up.

Looking on the Internet, I have seen EGR valves like mine that seem to have 3 bolts (2 on top, 1 bottom left as you look at the manifold end-on - made me think there were four bolts when looking from the top) and a rubber seal rather than a gasket.

I have to assume mine is the same. In this case, can I re-use the rubber seal or will I have to change it after cleaning?

Strangely, my setup doesn't seem to be listed anywhere on Vagcat. The nearest I get is that my inlet manifold looks like the one on a 2.4

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts